Sunday, August 19, 2007

I backed off on my 4.5 mile plan for today and only did 2. I didn't get out until 11 and it was just too humid. My breathing was too fast and my heart rate was too high, so I thought I needed a rest day. Tomorrow is a big day--doing intervals and lifting, so I don't feel so bad about the break today.

I had an epiphany today. I realized I'm afraid of hills. As I was running today, I noticed that when I felt like stopping, I'd look ahead and decide what to do based on that. If it's flat, I tell myself, "Oh, it's flat here, you can keep this pace." If a hill is looming, I'll give in. I do this all the time. I climb almost every hill with this personal mantra running through my head: "It doesn't matter how slow you run, as long as you're running."

Now that I've identified this weakness, I want to do something about it. So one time this week I'm going to run hill intervals. Run up, walk down, repeat. I won't ever do the race to the top of Pike's Peak (those crazy fools) or anything, but I'm hoping that I'll feel stronger next week.

1 comment:

Vianne said...

I have a step down week and I need it. I can tell my legs are dead.

I look at hills so differently. I was once told that races are won on hills. I believe that to be true, so I have always thought I would not let the hill beat me. There was a huge, very steep hill on my old path in Hohenfels and it is at the end of the run. The very first time I ran that path I was determined to see if I could run up the whole thing. From that day forward, I could not allow myself to walk it. Sometimes I would make deals with myself. You know... OK, if I manage to keep pace for the next few miles, you can walk the hill. If I run even though I don't want to, I can walk the hill. Then, when I would get to the hill, I would be only a 1/2 mile out and it is the last hill and I would say to myself...I have never walked this hill and I can't let it beat me now.

Intervals are good...hill sprints are fabulous. But, some call me a masochist.