Are you shocked? It's mostly a mental game with me. I told myself yesterday that I was going to run after I read the The Runner's World 8-Week Beginning Runners Training Program yesterday. I also decided that today would be the day I started this because I can't stand looking at my fat stomach flopping over my pants anymore. Even if I can't run 10 miles I'll be happy to loose this extra weight I've been carrying around since Freddie was born.
So I headed out and didn't worry about how I looked. However, I was worried that I would be cold. Not the case today. I had on way too much clothing. (By the way, you would never know a Blizzard blew through this place. I'll have to take some pictures so you can see. To the north from Colorado Springs to Denver is an entirely different story.) I also had my heart rate monitor to play with so my mind stayed occupied.
The first day of this Beginners plan is Run 1 minute and then Walk 2 minutes and do that 10 times. I completed the first 5 times with just about no problems. That took to about 1 mile to complete and about 15 minutes. After about 5 minutes, the pain started to set in with my side. This is the reason I hate running. After 15 minutes (halfway) I could feel my legs were getting wobbly and my chest became tight. The trail that I run is all downhill on the way out and all uphill on the way back. I walked almost the entire way home. I'm not upset that I didn't finish my goal of the day. I just know that I have lots of work before I'm ready for an entire 10 miles. Please don't let me quit! I had talked myself out of doing this about 20 times while running today. Again, I beg you, Please don't let me quit!
On my new plan tomorrow I should walk an "easy walk". Maybe I'll just do the run walk thing again?
Friday, December 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Angie - a note from your sis-in-law. Don't quit. If you quit, I will stop loving you. Just kidding. Think of it this way - you'll feel so, so good when you reach your goals. That's the good thing about being on a training program... think of all these run/walks as mini-goals. Keep doing the run walk thing until you can do it easily - and THEN move to the next step. To me, what I love about running is that I can't believe I can do it. But, I only CAN do it because I followed a strict training program and didn't start it full on until I could do the first step. I did the Hal Hidgon 10k training - so until I could run 2 miles comfortably, I did not move on with the program. Whatever you do, don't get frustrated. You can do it!!! Cathy
Cath, Thanks for the pep talk today. You know I needed it! Miss you lots! Wish you were here!
Yeah Angie! I am so proud of you! You SIL is so right. Take your time. Hal is your friend. If your plan says to do an easy walk tomorrow, that's what you should do. There's a lot to be said for stopping when you still feel good. If you push things, you risk injury and burn out. I am so glad that you have taken this challenge.
Just hang in there until this summer! I'm not such a great cheerleader, but I'm a pretty good a__kicker! I won't let you quit! Although you might come to hate me. Great job!!
Post a Comment