Friday, January 5, 2007

I'm back! We had a fabulous time in Spain, but I only got to run once. Although the hotels were great, their idea of a gym and mine are quite a bit different. The weather was incredible, but we were in lots of small towns with streets that were really glorified alleys with cobblestones and major hills. So, I took the week off. Madrid had a nice gym with a treadmill, so I took advantage of that and everyone was happy. When I don't run, I am not fit to live with.

I was back at the gym today and did 7 miles on the treadmill. It felt great. I plan on 5 tomorrow. I am behind in my plan, but I think I will be alright. Hopefully, nothing will get in the way of my goals next week. I actually worked out with a partner of sorts today. That's really a big deal for me. In several exercises I am at a point that I need spotter to be safe. It is frustrating because I know I can lift more and I want a harder workout, but I need help. I would rather have a partner, but I usually can't find a female that wants to lift like I do. I don't care if her goals are different from mine, but you really need someone who is similar so that the partnership is fair and reciprocal. Guys just get wierd about spotting a girl. Either they are patronizing or they think you are a wimp and they jump to help to soon and then help too much. Add to that this small community where everyone knows who you are and who you are married to and no soldier is going to help me. You would think everyone would be equal in the gym.

Anyway, it went really well with my new friend. She has been lifting for years and is certified in kickboxing, spinning, and personal training. She is coming back to weights after several months. I am sure she will bounce back quickly and we will be lifting about the same weight. I like that she is much more bubbly than me, but quite focused and determined. Having a spotter makes you much more confident since you know someone is there to catch. It also helps to have someone standing over you hollering encouragement. Today, I was able to bench 130! Hopefully, our schedules will allow us to meet at least twice a week. I can do the rest on my own.

I hope all of you had a great holiday and were able to run or at least enjoy the break if you couldn't. Bobbi, Shelley and I are down to a short nine weeks before the Paris Semi-Marathon.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Glad you had a great trip. Did you stay in any paradors?

Vianne said...

Hi Heidi,
We stayed in 2 paradors this time. Last year, we visited Costa Brava and stayed in one then (Aiguablava). This trip we flew into Madrid, rented a car and drove to Alarcon (parador), then to Alicante (relais & chateaux), on to Ronda (with side trips to Malaga and Gibraltar), next Jaen (parador) and finally Madrid again. The paradors were really great. I like the Spanish castles better that the German ones, of course, sun and 65 degrees in December will make anyone decide that Spain is better tha Germany. Have you stayed in paradors? Which ones?
V

Heidi said...

Ronda . . . we stayed at the parador there with an amazing view! I even remember buying one of my favorite teapots at the store right across the bridge! Malaga and Gibraltar were on our list too! I just loved Spain . . . my great grandmother was from Santander. I never made it there but it is in northern Spain near France. Someday I will go back. We even brought home the best souvenir, Colin!