Sunday, January 28, 2007
Running makes you fat!
Ok, not really, I'm sure, but it seems like everytime a start up a running regime for distance, I feel like I get thicker or heavier. I've heard something about cortisol production, but haven't looked into the science of it. My appetite certainly increases, but I'm mindful of what I eat. I have to tell you, feeling 'fatter' is not a great motivator to keep things up. Anyone else experience this? What's the cure? I've switched things up and am doing shorter runs with intervals and feel great about it. I have been able to go faster each workout and feel like I could run longer for my next distance run. Going to save that for another week, though, and keep up the intervals for now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I will tell you - I have been shocked that I haven't dropped a ton of weight with as much running as I do now. At the height of my training (before the strep), I was running about 28 miles a week. Speedwork, tempo work, long runs. And, eatting as I usually do, I lost absolutely no weight. I'm stunned by it. But, then, on the trails, there are lots of chunky runners out there!
I don't know the science either, but I think when we run, we are out of the fat burning zone and into cardio. With the fat burning zone, where I am with step classes or walking on the treadmill, you lose weight - because you are burning fat. When I run, I am in the cardio zone - not burning fat, but making my heart healthy. There's something to be said for that!! But, I want to lose ten pounds - so I had to find something to help with that.
I'm on weight watchers to get healthy and get my mind around portion control. To deal with the fact that I'm not doing a lot of cross training (where I would be in the fat burning zone), I have to be really mindful of what I eat. I eat a lot of lean proteins, whole wheat breads and pastas and I am moving away from the refined sugars as much as possible.
The one thing I will say about running that I love is my arms are much more defined from pumping them during the run. And, my abs are getting more defined from running too. And, my legs are stronger than ever... So, there are some perks to it.
Stay the course, watch the bad carbs and you'll be fine. Cathy
OK, what exactly do you mean by fatter?
Tummy pooch?
Wider waist?
Bigger bottom?
Thicker thighs?
If I eat too much white sugar (also includes white bread, white pasta...) I get a pooch in my tummy. The answer is to back off of refined sugars.
I am straight up and down, like a boy (jut ask Bobbi). The more I run, the bigger and more defined my obiques get. I have great abs (as long as I don't indulge in sugar), but I have no waist definition. I am OK with that, I wear low rise pants and skirts.
I have a bubble butt, for real! It may be on the small side, but it is up there and out there. It is another side effect of running. Again, I am OK with it. One friend described it as a horse's ass (as in race horse). The more you run, the higher and bubblier your ass gets. By the way, Pete says it makes a different/great sound when you slap a high/round bottom. He pops my butt a lot.
My thighs aren't thicker, but my quads are bigger. That makes some jeans but especially dress pants ans skirts a challenge. I end up in a low rise jean, a size bigger than I need for more room in the upper leg and lower hip. That's all muscle, baby!
By the way, I weigh more on the scale than you would expect. I am solid with an athletic build. I hhave mentioned low rise jeans ( and I know you wear them well). I can also recommend boxers and boy cut briefs.
Enjoy your new curves. Muscle weighs more and defines itself in a beautiful manner. Don't shy away from growth, just make sure it is solid. Pete says to make sure that I mention the scale. Throw it away if it is not a good tool for you. If I am in great shape I weigh more on the scale. Do not pay attention to the number, pay attention to your clothes and how they fit in relation to muscle growth.
Post a Comment