The weather has been so unpredictable in NYC - one day, it's 70 and the next, it's 30. I knew I was going to get sick - and my long run outside on Saturday did it. I am a little worried, because I just don't know what approach to take - rest and try to get better quickly or power through it, sticking to the training, because hey, I might be sick on race day too... and I'm going to have to run for that! I guess I'll just try to listen to my body. Or, maybe, I'll take E's advice and walk this week - instead of running.
Before I got sick though, I did get in a really good long run. It's been a little scary this week - a couple muggings in Central Park and at fairly reasonable times of the day... I might try to find a running buddy for those runs.
Oh - I don't remember who had the concern about Ipods at the Army ten miler... I will tell you - I'm totally reliant on my Ipod in training and the smaller runs in Central Park (where there are no spectators). But, for the big races - like the Marine Corps 10k I did in October - the spectators and all their cheering are all the music I needed! For me, it was really fun to be "present" and focused on the course and the people around me and hear all the spectators cheering. I promise you - it's not that big a deal to be without the Ipod (and, I would have NEVER thought I'd say that!!). I will report back after my 15k in Feb if it's unbearable to be without it for that length of a race. But, I do think, also, that runners REALLY complained about the prohibition on Ipods - folks were still talking about it at the Marine Corps race which is held a couple weeks after the ATM. You could wear them for the Marine Corps - you couldn't wear them for ATM because the start is in the Pentagon parking lot. Maybe if they change the start - or if they realize they are being slightly ridiculous, they will allow them.
Ok. I'm babbling. I am doped up on cold medication!!!
Monday, January 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
How bad is your cold? If it's mostly stuffiness and runny nose, I'd run. You'll probably be surprised at how much better you feel after pounding the pavement makes everything drain out! If you're achy and feverish, definitely no (for me). And the walking (fast) substitute really is a workout! I was reading on either Hal or Jeff's site that walking is underrated.
I was the one who mentioned the iPods being illegal. My friend said there was a bomb threat and they re-routed the race last minute. The officials were afraid of them being used as remote detonators. This could have just been a race day rumor--I can't verify this is what really happened.
I figured the crowds would be motivating and/or I'd have a buddy with me to pass the time, but are people along the entire route? If V. can run a marathon without her iPod, I can do 10 miles! V--you have to tell the story now! ;)
Hi Cathy,
I am sorry you are sick. My cold put me down hard. I did get the last long run in before I fell, but it also may have been what did me in. Anyway, I was out of it for 3 days. I finally went to the gym on Monday, but just to lift. I didn't think my lungs were quite ready to run. I did my speed work today and it was hard, but I'm back and I will suck it up from here.
E is the nurse, so her advise for training while sick is the best. I also happen to agree with her...stuffy, run; fever and aches, rest. Walking is fabulous for a cross trainer (add some hills).
I do hope the Ipod thing gets figured out quickly. It is not a factor I want to deal with. E has opened the door for a story about Ipods and my Berlin Marathon experience. I promise I will share this week.
I am teaching a new class that started today so be patient with me as I get everyone settled.
Post a Comment