I got a great book on V's recommendation: The Competitive Runner's Handbook. I'm already 100 pages into it and I'm fascinated by how little I know! I've realized a few things though.
1: I'm running too fast for training. Seems odd to say that. So I went by what the book said and slowed my pace down to 10:30 today and my goal was 6 miles. I haven't done that in a year! I was really looking forward to my "easy" day, but it was anything but. That last half mile was brutal. My ankles and knees are very upset with me. Not an injury, but sitting on the couch with my heat packs feels wonderful. I'm confused though since the book said I should be at about 70% max HR for this pace. I was more at 90%. Also, I should be able to hold a conversation, which I couldn't. I didn't feel bad, just very tired.
So that's #2: I need to base my pace/distance on my heart rate. But I feel so slow at that pace, it's really hard to do. I guess my muscular fitness/endurance level isn't matching with my cardiopulmonary fitness. Seems weird to me.
So #3: I need to improve my aerobic capacity and endurance. More lower-intensity workouts and cross-training.
Which leads me to #4: I need to find out what my max HR is and what my VO2 is. I'm going to test myself tomorrow. I'm almost afraid to find out.
Lastly, I need to lose some fat weight if I want to go faster. Not much, maybe a few lbs. Thing is, I don't want to lose weight. I like how I look and feel. I'm not skinny, but I don't want to be. I like being able to eat 3 cinnamon rolls (like I did Monday night) and not gain weight. I like not having to count calories and ending up eating 1000 calories for lunch like I did today. I don't want to watch what I eat! Unless you count watching it go down my gullet.
So now I need to decide: what do I want, and how bad do I want it?
P.S. I changed the song--here's another one that gets my feet moving. Feel free to change it to your own favorite!
Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
E,
I glad you are enjoying your book. I think it is very well done.
1. It is hard to slow down and you use different muscles, so you will feel differently. Patience, you'll get used to it. I have a very difficult time slowing down my training runs. It messes with my head.
2. This one is hard. It took my body a long time to figure this out. I just ran slow enough to carry on a conversation and feel like I am toodling. My heart rate eventually started dropping at that pace and I could step it up a bit. It is good to get some practice with the heart rate monitor and pacing so that you have a better understanding of your body and you can see the improvements.
3. Yep.
4. Weight - If you don't want to loose weight, then don't. That said, I am not skinny, I am very lean. I could probably improve my times if I lost some muscle, but I don't like that look. I do like being lean and that takes watching my food, but with the muscle I carry and the miles I run, I can get away with a lot of calories per day. I don't like a belly pooch and it is the first place that I gain wieght and that is usually from bad food not more food. Of course, age plays a factor here. My body changed considerably at 35 and then again at 40. Sorry to bring that issue up.
You know, there are no absolutes here. Enjoy the process and learn as much as you can about you and your body. Pick a race and experiment. You can drop a few pounds, play with your food intake, work with your heart rate and see if you are faster and then see if you care that you are faster. Pete reminds me all the time that runners have off seasons and race seasons. Off season you can enjoy a few more pounds and slower times and easier workouts. Race season you tighten up again. That way you don't burnout. I would recommend that you start a training log if you haven't already. That will provide you with a lot of feedback over time.
Love the song. I don't know how to change it, but I think it would be fun to put different songs on every now and then. I love hearing new things to add to my running list.
Post a Comment