Yesterday was supposed to be my long run day, but we had weather warnings of very high winds. The kids were even let out of school early! Needless to say, I had to come straight home from work and was not able to get to the gym. So I went today and ran my 10 miles. Yes, on the treadmill. Many times, people tell me that there is no way they could run 10 miles on a treadmill. So, since a had some time to think, I decided to concentrate on what gets me through distance on the hamster wheeel, as Bobbi calls it.
I tell myself - I am an athlete and this is what athlete's do. If it were easy then anyone could be an athlete. I was never athletic, so reaching a stage that I could call my self an athlete is really huge.
I remember races and specific moments, like the crowds, the excitement, the finish and the feeling of pride and accomplishment. Sometimes I remember specific runs that I used to do in other places that I have lived, like down by the river in Mount Vernon, Virginia (beautiful water and rolling hills); Capital Hill, Washington D.C. (the National Monuments amaze me everytime I see them); through the woods in Vilseck (had to watch for wild pigs), etc.
I eat food. I like to eat grapes on long runs. I reward myself every 1/2 mile or so. They really refresh my mouth. I also like Jelly Belly jelly beans. Today I tried Starbursts. Don't do this. They are too flavorful and my mouth started watering and then the chew seemed to get bigger and I couldn't chew it fast enough and swallow before I really needed my mouth to breath. Again, don't do this one.
I sing. I try not to sing out loud, but I really try to get into my music. Sometimes, I borrow Ian's Ipod or P's to hear something new or just to have surprises since I don't know what's on their lists. Last week for my long run, Ian built me a new list, so I had no idea what was coming. That was fun.
If something hurts, and something is forever tweaking, I give it 1/2 mile or so to work out. Sometimes it is fun to guess where the tweak is going to move to next. If something does hurt and it stays with me, I have to decide if I am injured or just a bit sore. Most times, I just a have an irritated body part, but not a real injury. Mind you, I am pretty tough and I do have a tendency to run through almost anything. Anyway, I can either stop the run or slow down. Usually, if I just slow down and concentrate on my form I can get back on track.
I have a head game that I use when it gets bad and Bobbi picked it up as well. I start with my toes and ask myself how they feel. Their fine. How are my arches, heel, top of foot? Fine. Shoes tied to tight? No. How are my shins? OK. Calves? Fine. Hamscreams (misspelling intended)? Tight, twing on one side. Get the pattern? Well, eventually I come to the conclusion that I am really fine, nothing is injured, I am not hungry or thirsty. The bottom line is I am bored. Well, so what, that is not a reason not to run. I am an athlete and this is what athletes deal with and learn to overcome.
Friday, January 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Alright, you've convinced me. I was going to wait until Saturday to do my long run but the oddds of it being nicer here are slim to none (I 'm from Michigan).
I don't know you, never looked at your blog before now, but I googled 10 miles treadmill runs and you've inspired me to get my butt to the gym and JUST DO IT (thanks Nike)!
Thanks for the inspiration!
-Fellow runner...and occasional blogger.
Post a Comment