Friday, January 26, 2007

Need guidance from the pros...

So, I am back at the gym after the strep throat. I hadn't run for 10 days. My last run before getting sick was 8 miles. Here's the problem - I'm struggling - with really short runs. It's not like I'm tired, or still recovering from being sick -- I feel like I lost it. All the conditioning I had built up since September: gone. I'm trying to ease back into it. Monday, I ran one mile. Wednesday: three miles. Friday: two miles. But, the two mile run? I wasn't sure I'd get through it. I feel out of shape. Does it go away that fast? Should I start my training program over again? Just to complicate matters: my first 15k ever is in 3 weeks.

3 comments:

E said...

I don't know if I can help, but I can definitely relate. I lost my mojo last week. I ran today, and only got 2 miles. I ran it fast since I knew I didn't have the distance in me, but I still feel lost. I have the motivation--I get out there to do it. I just fade quickly.

It will come back. I know myself and know I go through these phases. And yes, 10 days off will make all that work go away. I took 3 weeks off last summer and it took me 2 months to get back. Hard lesson to learn. That's why I'm still getting out there, if only to do 2 miles. I don't want to lose it all again. The pros here will have to give you advice--I just wanted to know you're not alone!

Vianne said...

Cathy,
10 days is not enough to loose it. It usually takes about 2 weeks for you to really feel a major decline. Of course, that is only relevant to a break that doesn't include illness. Strep throat is bad. You were really sick. You don't realize how fatigued you are. Your body has been working overtime fighting bad germs and now you want it to just jump up and fight hills. It is telling you that you need a bit of a break from being sick before you are ready to tackle miles again. Make sure that you are taking good care of yourself:

Eating good meals with good carbs and a some protein with every meal. Good size breakfast and a small meal before you run. The carbs will give you energy, but the protein will help with recovery. Watch the sugar for now, it can lead to a crash during a run. You may want to up your fat intake for just a bit (only good fat). Make sure that you have water in yor hand at all times and Gatorade while running any distance for a bit. You could probably use the extra electrolites and salt.

You are smart to run every other day and short distance. Make sure that you are really resting on the off days. Don't push your speed. You might want to drop the pace quite a bit for the next week.

I know that you are freaking out (I would be too). But, all is not lost. Focus on recovery this next week and I bet you will feel ready to jump back in the following week. YOu may not have the time to taper much before the race, but that will workout too. Look at it as a reverse taper. If you push this now, you will sabotage yourself. Try to relax, the worst that can happen is you may have to reevaluate your goals for this race. You may not run as fast as you had hoped. You may even need a walk break. I know you won't be happy about it, but in the big scheme of things, you will still have accomplished a huge goal and you can look for another opportunity to run faster. Afterall, you are going to run for the rest of your life, this is not your one and only chance...this is just your first chance to run a 15K. You have never run a 15K yet, so anything you do will be a personal best! Illness happens and sometimes you can be even more vunerable to sickness when training hard, because you can get a bit rundown if training too hard. It happens to the best of runners. I am not telling you this without understanding how difficult it may be to accept. I would be pitching an absolute fit and driving everyone crazy. I am sure there would be tears involved. Nonetheless, it is the risks we take with the sport and with training for races months away.

Hang in there, and keep me posted. I think you will be much better next week and by the race yo will be fine. Endorphines will carry you...I promise.
V

Cathy said...

V - thank you so much for your guidance and encouragement... it really means so, so much to me.
I did a long run today - about 8 miles. And, did it without my ipod - which was acting up. I was about 1 minute off my normal pace, but I am not sweating it. I didn't stop during the run and drank plenty of gatorade after. I'll tell you: I was really tired. But, I felt good. Part of me had hoped to run 9 today. But, I listened to myself (and to your advice!!) and decided that the last thing I need is to overexert myself and relapse.I am being sensible - which is really not me!!!
I am feeling excited about the 15k. Thanks again for all your advice!!!! I'll get there. Hope you are doing well. Cathy