It has been a while since I have posted and it seems I have lots to say to catch up.
Confession: I have an injury. I have been working this training plan that is very aggressive with speed work. Well, I was doing great and then I started having pain on the outside of my knee and up to the outside of my hip. It got so bad that I couldn't finish a 3 mile easy run. For me, that is huge because I run through anything. It seems I have an IT band (iliotibial band)injury. It is an overuse injury affecting the tendon that runs from the outside of your knee to the outside of your hip. I was in denial for some time, but I finally admitted to Pete that I hurt and he made me deal with reality. So, I have not run for 2 days and I have been on the Motrin and each evening, I am icing it. I have been really frustrated and bummed because I was afraid I would not meet my goal for Paris (1:35 half marathon). Now, I think I have a new plan and I have to thank Bobbi for it.
Solution: I changed my program to Hal Higdon's. I used him for both marathons and his methods are tried and true. I know I can handle the intermediate/advanced plan. I have also given up on my goal time in Paris. It is not what you think, I have not given up on a 1:35, just not in Paris. That race is huge and there is more to successful times than just running fast. So, I will go to Paris and run the race as a training run for the Prague Half Marathon that is two weeks later! I could use the extra two weeks for some recovery time with this injury and it is a much smaller race, so I won't have to deal with the huge crowds that can slow your time. I am also familiar with the Prague route, since I did the marathon there last year. Since it is a smaller race (3100 vs. 25000), I should be competitive to place in the top 5 of the Master's Women's Division (wish me luck). Finally, it is probably my last chance to run internationally with great friends in one of my favorite cities before we have to move.
So, I am excited again and I don't feel anywhere near the pressure that I did. I know it is crazy that I do this to myself. You would think I could lighten up, afterall it is just running. It is funny how I have gotten to a place in my life that most of the time, I can realize the things that really don't matter to me or won't be important in 5 years and let them go. People accuse me of taking this running thing too seriously. The truth is...I owe so much to this sport.
Running is all about me. So much of what I do is to take care of someone else. Running offers me a challenge with myself. It is like an intimate relationship with me and my alter ego, the runner. This marriage of sorts has its highs and lows. It has taken me places I never thought possible. I have learned to reach out, take a chance, and be vunerable. It has encouraged me with success, pride and accomplishment. It has taught me humility, patience and respect. It makes me feel strong. It makes me emotional. It can be a "safe" place for me to hide. It has made me a better person. I am so glad that I invested the time to make this sport such an integral part of my life.
Thursday, February 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What a wonderful post! Especially the last paragraph. I really relate to the line "so much of what I do is take care of someone else" Thankfully, you took care of me by sharing your running experience and now I have found something amongst this crazy life of taking care of others that I can do on my own to be proud of.
You are amazing, my friend and a true inspiration. Please take care of your injury...Motrin is my drug of choice too!
V - first, you know I think Hal's a god. So, I'm glad you switched to him. His programs seems somehow more manageable. Still a lot of training - but, doable. I'll give you the same advice you gave me dealing with the strep - take care of yourself. Rest up and remember (just as you are) that we do this because we love it.
I am sending loads of good thoughts your way for a speedy recovery and a great run in Paris.
By the way, I'm following your advice for my tampa run. I feel like a slug - just resting and running when it feels right and good. Who knows how I'll do in Tampa - but, I know this: I'll finish and I'll have a blast and a pirate will give me my medal when I cross the finish line!! (It's pirate themed - don't ask me why....)
Hugs - Cathy
Now that you've confessed, go run 10 fartleks as an act of contrition. Just kidding! ;) Don't run!
I found this quote when I looked up IT band injury: "most runners with ITB pain are "Type A's." They run high mileage. They're not willing to back off, and they are willing to run through pain." Hmm....who does that sound like? Wink, wink again.
Stopping for a bit sounds like the best thing you can do for yourself. I feel your frustration, but you want to be doing this for a long time to come. Your new goals sound reasonable. Hang in there. I know how hard it can be to stop or even slow down. Maybe you can look at Paris as being a fun run? Maybe hang out with the lady dressed in the naughty French maid costume!
Post a Comment