I just want to check in and let y'all know that I am running, slowly, but I am running. I pulled up some training plans for beginning runners from the Runner's World site and hope that they will teach me to run distance. I don't feel like a complete beginner, so I started with week two, and it was surpisingly difficult. The plan was to run three minutes, walk three minutes, and repeat five times. Now, don't laugh, I know you all run much faster, but by the fourth round, I was struggling to keep a ten minute pace, and by the final round I had to drop the pace even slower. I keep telling myself "baby steps, this isn't going to happen over night." It is proving to be a hard lesson to learn because I am all about instant gratification. So, I did this routine three days, did spinning one day, and lifted one day...last week.
This week has been a struggle. It is/will be a very rough week with too many early mornings and late nights at work. Girl Scout Cookie Time is in full swing, multiple night trainings are keeping me out until at least 9:30 p.m. and events have my head spinning and my mind wondering how I will get it all done. Plus, I am having my wisdom teeth extracted on Friday morning, so I will be out of commission for at least a few days. (Again, I am thinking positive...I will be fine after the weekend is over.) I went to spinning class yesterday and I plan to put on my shoes and run outside this morning before I allow myself to shower. I still haven't found my runners mojo though, can someone please lend me some of theirs?
On another note, I broke my "running" watch last week so I am in the market for a new one. And, when I say I broke it, I literally snapped the band off of the face in a way that can not be fixed. I had the Nike Triax and I am not convinced that I really liked it all that well, so I am strongly considering the Women's Timex Ironman 50 due to its small, sleek styling. Has anyone had this watch? Or, does someone have a favorite that they would highly recommend? I am currently using it to time my intervals, but I am guessing that I may need to use it for other things as I get better.
Well, now that the sun is actually out, the running shoes are calling me. That and my six feet long "to do" list that awaits after the running is over. Oh, about the ATM, is it wrong for me to set my goal to simply finish?
Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Hi Christy,
I'm new to this blogging thing, so please excuse the anonymous posting.
I was sent an email recently offering me a free watch if I subscribed to Runners World.
Follow link if interested.
http://www.qualitymagazines.co.uk/home/mpurchase.asp?m=7&src=OD67
I had to click through the first page to get to the bit where I was offered a watch.
Not sure if it lives up to the type of watch you want, but hey, you never know.
Happy running.
James
It's about time we heard from you! I am thrilled with your week of progress. Running, spinning and lifting all in one week! Next wee sounds tough, but that's life and you'll get through it.
I wear a Garmin GPS that tells me my time, my pace and my distance all at once. I love it. I am a numbers girl and I love having all that feedback on my wrist. It is also great to be able to take off for a run and know how far I have gone, when to turn around, etc. It travels well and picks up the satellite signal wherever I am so that I can do those 5 miles anywhere. The watch plugs into the computer and syncs up with a software program that acts as your training log. It downloads your runs to your calendar and you can add your notes. It is not a cheap toy, but I ceratinly get my money out of it. There is also a model that comes with a heart rate monitor. There is a link for more information on the blog under running gadgets.
Your goal for the ATM is exactly that...yours. I know there will be many (thousands)people running that day with the same goal as you. There will be a few of our own group that shares your feelings. That is the beauty of running, most of the time, you are only running against yourself. If you have never run a ten-miler, you will automatically have a personal best, no matter what you do.
Remember, when you tell people that you ran a ten mile race (or any distance race), rarely will they ask your time. They are just impressed that you did it (afterall, they think they could never do such a thing). Most have no concept of running pace anyway. It is like your GPA; once you graduate no one cares about your grades.
I am really proud of you. Keep it up or I will hunt you down again.
Love, V
Back last month before all the snow in Colorado and before Christmas, I had tried the beginner's plan on runner's world. It was hard for me too. Whenever I can get going again here in Kansas, that's where I'll start again. I remember thinking, I can run for 2 minutes and then walk 2 minutes. After the 5th time I was in some serious pain. My goal is the same as you, to just finish.
I use the Polar Heart Rate Monitor (link on the side bar) It's ok, but complicated. I guess I just need to read the manual in more detail. I wish I had the one V has. Sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for.
Good job Christy! Hang in there--the hardest part is just getting back in the habit. That's what kept me going through last week. All I wanted to do was mope and read trash novels, but running is part of my routine now. So I got out there and did it, just because that's what I do now.
Nothing wrong with just wanting to finish. That's my goal! I've never done 10 miles. I've only done 6 miles twice. Although V. insists that when I get out there the racer in me will come out.
I use the Forerunner 201. It was actually a gift for D. two Christmases ago, but I use it more often than he does! I need to figure out how to set the alarms to tell me when I'm off pace. I have a thing against reading instructions. Call me a man.
The thing I don't like about this one is the strap. It's very stiff and hard to adjust for my scrawny wrist. Which means it rubs and bruises my wrist bones. For that reason, I only wear it when it's long sleeve weather so I can put it over my clothes. Plus it's bulky and doesn't look like a watch. Maybe I'll upgrade--I need one with a heartrate monitor.
Don't all of the watches with heartrate monitors involve some sort of chest strap? Either that or they are inaccurate?
V,
I just checked out the Garmin site and they all look HUGE and bulky. What do you do, wear it on your bicep? I love the fact that it actually measures distance, but I don't know if I can get over it's size. By the way, which model do you have? I still have a few people who want b-day ideas and this watch thing would be perfect.
Christy,
I have the 305 model. It is a bit big for my wrist, but if I turn it so that the face is actually on the underside, is not bad at all. I started out with the 201 and I loved it. I would still have it today if Pete hadn't decided that I needed to upgrade. I do love the interactive software that came with the new one, but I have to admit that the new model sometimes has issues. Bobbi has the 205 and has really enjoyed it. I think mine may be a bit too technical and therefore has more things that can act up. Maybe I just got a contrary one. I think you would be happy with the 201 - 205. All of my Garmins have been very accurate for distance. The speed can be just a bit off if you are not perfectly consistent (and who is running outside). It just has to catch up with you when you change pace. I am most interested in my distance and my overall speed splits. You can program it to keep track of your splits and you determine what the distance for splits. For example, mine is set on 1 mile splits, so when I come home, I can plug in my watch to the computer and it will tell me how far I ran and how I did by each mile. It also beeps at me when i am running to tell me when I finish each mile and the time for that mile. My computer read out also gives me elevation (great validation when I am a bit slower) and a visual map of my route. I also like the running buddy option. You can tell the watch that you want to run x miles at x pace and the face will have 2 little stick figures. One is you and one is your buddy. As you run, if you are in front of your buddy, you are too fast, if you are behind, you are too slow. It is a great visual to keep you on pace, especially for racing.
Overall, it is an expensive little gadget, but if something happened to mine, I would immediately buy a new one. By the way, you can change the setting from running to biking, so Pete can take it out with him when he rides.
My friend has either the 205 or 305 and it's not too bulky. Of course, it's bigger than a regular watch (about the size of a man's sport watch), but it does more than just keep time so it needs to be! Mine, however, is big. Those two models include the heart rate monitors (chest strap) too, mine doesn't.
Post a Comment