Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Want to be my Guinea Pig?

I am experimenting with recipes. My boys love this one:

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

1 Box of lemon poppy seed muffin mix
2 6oz fat free vanilla yogurt (lemon would be fine too)

Mix together. Batter will be think. Bake in preheated 425 oven for 15 minutes. The muffins will not rise much or become golden, although they will start to brown. Makes 12 muffins.

If you wish for a tangier muffin, add about 1 Tablespoon of lemon kurd.
calories: 156
fat: 2 grams (20 calories)

Variations:
Mascarpone Cheese
Lemon Kurd
Lime Kurd
Prepare mix as above. Place a bit of muffin batter in the bottom of each muffin tin. Top with a little bit of the mascarpone cheese and a bit of either kurd. Top with more muffin mix to cover. Bake as above.

My family like the lime kurd alone and the lemon kurd with the mascarpone.

My favorite:
The mascarpone with lemon kurd muffins.
Served with fresh strawberries and a glaze of splenda, skim milk, and lemon extract.

By the way, I did my 16 miles yesterday in 2:11 (8:12 miles). It was a beautiful 57 degrees. I am a bit sore today, but I managed to do a fast 6 miles this afternoon in just over 46 minutes. They are calling for much cooler temps, so I wanted to take advantage of the day.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Hi V - I'm def going to try the poppy seed recipe - anything with poppy seeds, I love!!

This morning - I measured my resting heart rate - wow, what a difference. It was 64. And, when I rolled over to turn on the light - it went up to 80. I'm 37 years old... and tonight, I'll figure out the max stuff.

Thanks for your help with this! Cathy

Roxxi said...

I am going to the store tonight to get the stuff for these muffins and the pumpkin muffins. I think you should have a blog of all your yummy recipes and I will be your guinea pig anytime!:0) I love new things and am not affraid to try anything!!:0)