Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Cathy's Heart Rate Scale

Ok my friend,

Based on a resting heart rate of 64 and a max of 185, here is how you can train to heart rate:


Zone 1 - Low Intensity zone: 50% - 60% of max (125-137) This is late to work.
Zone 2 - Weight Control zone: 60% - 70% of max (137-149) This is your easy run.
Zone 3 - Aerobic zone: 70% - 80% of max (149-161) This is your tempo run.
Zone 4 - Anaerobic zone: 80% - 90% of max (161-173) This is interval training.
Zone 5 - Maximal zone: 90% - 100% of max (173-185) This is where you feel lightheaded or sick if you stay too long.

Heart Rate Percentages

% of Max Heart Rate
100% 185
95% 179
90% 173
85% 167
80% 161
75% 155
70% 149
65% 143
60% 137
55% 131
50% 125

I found that I was training too hard most days. To get faster, I had to slow down. I ran with my heart rate at a pace that kept my number where it was supposed to be for that day, no matter what my pace was. Once my heart adapted to that pace at that heart rate, it became more efficient and eventually my heart rate slowed down while I ran the same pace. Then, you run a bit faster, so that the numbers are right again. With time, my heart adapted to each increment of pace and I ran faster while feeling like I did when I ran slower. In other words, my heart rate used to be 145 (my easy rate) at 9:15 miles (5 mile run). Now, I can run 8:30 miles and stay at in the low 140's.

By training at a higher rate for intervals and tempos, I have taught my heart and my body how to deal with lactic acid and anarobic threshold. The benefit is I can now run longer and faster at a higher sustained heart rate. For instance, I used to feel sick if I ran too long with a heart rate close to 170. Now, I can race at high 160's and low 170's. I don't hit 170 until after 10 miles at sub 8 minutes.

As you become more fit, your resting heart rate will get slower. Mine started out in the mid 60's when I started running. Now, it is 48-52 depending... I bet if you check it again in a year, yours will have dropped and then you have to adjust your training numbers.

Have I totally confused you? By the way, did you like the chocolate cake?

2 comments:

Cathy said...

V- Thank you!! I actually think I understand it. I really appreciate your help! So, the point is now - to really be mindful of the ranges and, that means, I'm going to have to slow down right now... in order to one day be faster! I get it!
And, the choc cake was DELICIOUS! I just made it again this weekend - so I have a treat all week! Going to invest in a muffin pan too - so, I can make the lemon poppy seed recipe this weekend!
I will keep you posted on the heart rate stuff and again, thank you for helping me understand this!! Cathy

Roxxi said...

YUM YUM YUM!!! I just tried the pumpkin muffin you posted earlier!! It was WONDERFUL!!!! I am going to give you my e-mail address so you can send me recipes anytime! Also, I might want to buy one of those recipe books that your boys want you to make!:0)