Boy, do I feel out of the loop! After 2 weeks of "vacation" I've got a lot of catching up to do. I'll start by saying that I worked up the courage to get on the scale this morning. I was convinced it was going to explode and springs would pop out like in the cartoons, but it's still intact. I do think it laughed at me though. I gained 3 lbs, which is acceptable for a pregnant lady. I was hoping to limit it to 2, but it's OK. With all the work I'm facing, I might end up losing a lb this week! I think I might have to adjust my goal of 25 lbs total weight gain to 30 lbs. Not happy about that, but it's still within the recommended range. Only 3 months and 4 days to go....
A few comments on the previous posts: V--the Aerogarden sounds really cool. I saw one and seriously thought about buying it. Just the idea of having fresh cherry tomatoes year-round was enough to tempt me. I have about the blackest thumb around though, so if it works, let me know and I might have to invest in one.
Cathy--figuring out the heart rate thing drove me nuts too. I could run comfortably at a 10-minute pace, but according to my heart rate and what my training plan said to keep it at, I had to slow down. The granny shuffle killed me and to be honest, I wasn't very good at sticking to it. I never did it consistently enough to get my heart rate down, and when I start running again I'll be back at the beginning. I'll try to be better next time. It's just not fun to go slow! I didn't get the heart rate monitor from Santa, but I did get a fat gift card to Dick's Sporting Goods so I'm going shopping soon.
Have to agree with all the shoe advice. I love my Mizunos for running, but for walking I prefer NB or Reebok. I can't stand Nikes--their arch supports don't work for me and the way they lace makes the top of my feet go numb. It's good to get a gait analysis too. I have very high arches, yet my foot strike is surprisingly normal so I was buying the wrong shoes based on my arch. I wear neutral shoes now. I do have a quirk though--my right leg doesn't completely face forward the way it should. That or my left one turns in too much, can't remember exactly. Anyway, my knees aren't positioned correctly and my right leg swings in when I run, sometimes kicking the inside of my left foot! Someday I'll trip myself in a race and end up in someone's home video on You-Tube. I've always known about it (an anomaly acquired from my leg being positioned straight up in front of me while I was still in the womb--I was supposed to wear braces as a baby) but watching myself run in a mirror was really embarrassing! I look like Igor stumping around. Oh well, as long as I'm moving, right?
It's good to be back and hearing from everyone!
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
E, I really missed you! It sounds like you have had quite the holiday.
I love the Aerogarden so far. All of my herbs are growing strong, just as promised. I could see where one might need more than one...tomatoes and herbs...oh, and they have strawberries! Pete says this thing is idiot proof. Well, I'm no idiot and neither are you, but even he could grow something:) I will take a picture when I am ready for the first harvest.
I never knew you had a wonky leg. Pete and Ian, both have a foot that turns in. Pete was supposed to have a brace as a kid. I think that is just what they did then. Ian has never had any issue, but I have never been able to understand why he doesn't fall. Anyway, they are a sight to see walking together and from behind.
Glad to have you back. We have much to catch up on.
My mom always points out that when I'm walking my leg swings in. My mom only put the braces on me a few times--she couldn't stand to hear me scream in protest. I was also supposed to wear 6 diapers at a time to stretch the inner thigh muscles. She wasn't consistent with that either. Funny though--a few years later the dr that prescribed this therapy commented about how well the braces worked on fixing me!
Hi E! We may need to start a new blog on braces! Ha. I had to wear them myself when I was a baby. I had casts and then the braces. And, boy did I milk it. Apparently, I was a terror because people treated my family like criminals if they yelled at or disciplined the poor little girl in the braces... tee hee!
Sarah and I watched the NYC marathon this year and I think it's so fun to watch everyone run... it's like snowflakes - no two runners gaits are the same. Even some Igor-like gaits!! :-) There's really a place for everyone in running, isn't there.
Anyway - welcome back and glad you are feeling good! c
Post a Comment