Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Another F$%*&#(% Obstacle to Fitness....

We talked about this. I should have known. Why, oh why would I have gone to the gym at 5:30 pm on January 2? What was I thinking? I almost got in a fist fight (would that have counted as cross training?) with a staff member - who tried to boot me off the treadmill at 27 minutes because he thought I was lying about how long I had been on the machine. During peak hours we can only use it for 30 minutes. Lord. There was a line of people who I'm sure hadn't seen the inside of a gym since last January 2. I'm not judging. I'm just saying: let me have my 30 minutes in peace, people.
Anyway - V - I did what you said to try to get my max heart rate. Can you help me figure out my targets?
Ok. I'm 37. My resting heart rate this morning was 65-ish.
I ran tonight:
The first .25 miles - my heart rate was 165.
Then I ran all out for .25 miles and my heart rate was 179.
Then I recovered for .5 miles and my heart rate was 169.
Then I ran all out for .25 miles and my heart rate was 189.
Then I ran the last 1.6 miles at my normal pace and my heart rate never went below 183.
What do you think?

As for the "resolution" crowd, I'm going to try to figure out a way to beat it... I may have to get up super early to miss them.... or go very late at night.... or just try to look at them with kindness and hope that they do make this resolution a habit and learn how to interact gracefully with others at the gym. In the meantime, I believe I'll have a beer and think about those banana pecan pancakes..... Cathy

1 comment:

Vianne said...

My gym was busy today as well. I knew it was coming. I know we should be generous and supportive; and I can do that, just don't get on my machine, especially frustrating when you are doing a circuit! I stuck to free weights today. I notice that most newbies feel more comfortable with the weight machines. Who knows, maybe I will make a new gym friend. Hang in there, most will be gone by March. I do try to make eye contact and smile at the unfamiliar girls. I hate being the new girl, whether it is the gym, school or a new unit.

By the way, I used to go to a gym that had that 30 minutes rule. When I explained that I was training for distance, they taught me how to override the machine's 30minute minimum. I know you can't get away with it all the time, especially with so many new people, but gyms like to have athletes in the gym and training, so it is to their advantage to accomodate you.