I do not like mornings. I do not like running in the morning.
I have to back up just a bit. Pete and I joined a running team this fall that is training for the Shamrock Marathon. The team is named Team Groove and was established by the widow of a Navy Seal killed in Afghanistan as a memorial in his name. Proceeds go towards a scholarship fund. Anyway, there was a get together at a local pub to meet other team members on Friday and we decided to go. We had a lot of fun. In addition to meeting other runners, I also had another goal.
We had childcare issues this weekend because Ian was playing a college showcase soccer tournament out of town. I had 18 miles to do and Pete had 15. That's a little much to ask Beast to do on his bike. So, I hoped to meet someone at the party that planned to run long on Saturday. Each weekend, my running store does a group run at 7:30AM. There are several groups and several paces, so everyone can find someone to run with. My problem is the early morning. I live 40 minutes away; so I have to get up at 6 in order to have enough time to eat, hydrate and pray nature works. That is just really early on a day you don't have to get up and chances are it is much colder at that time of the day. So, it is very tempting to sleep in, eat when I want, and run in the warmer afternoon. But, I have to do it alone and 18 miles is a really long time to be alone.
Anyway, the owner of the running store was at the party and when he heard me asking around for someone to run with me in the morning. He assured me that he had a group for me. So, I got up bright and early, ate my breakfast, packed my gym bag and thankfully, my body cooperated.
It is quite a site pulling in to the parking lot. It is not quite light yet and all these runners seem to be coming out of the darkness from everywhere. There must have been 50 runners in all. The store does a good job of accommodating us. There is water, stretching areas, a bathroom, and a basket for car keys. Jerry, the owner, set me up with a group of like pace, like distance and we took off.
I had a blast. Since, I don't know my way around, it was nice to have someone show me a new route and it included lots of beach front! They also know which hotels will let us grab water and a bathroom break. Since we all ran about the same pace, we could really push each other. This helps me see if I am realistic with my pace goals.
We did 18 miles in 2:25 (7:57 min per mile). Woo Hoo! Even better, I'm not sore!
They also turned me on to Endurox R4 for a recovery drink. I think I will get up early again this Saturday.
Monday, January 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment