Thursday, January 10, 2008

I Am Weak and Old

...and now sore.

I think I 'fessed up to falling behind in the gym. I was bored with lifting and feeling that between running and lifting, I was always in a ponytail and gym clothes (not my best look). Since I was working up for the OBX race, I decided to lean out a bit of the muscle and only go 2x a week for a circuit workout. Then there was the holidays.

With marathon training, I can carry more muscle. I still have to deal with the burn out since I am putting in mega miles, but I am not focused on the speed, so they feel somewhat easier. So, this week is my first week back to my traditional lifting schedule. Monday, I worked legs. Yesterday, I was scheduled to do pushes, essentially, chest, triceps and shoulders. Well first let me say, it is amazing how much strength you can loose in such a short period of time. And now, I have something going on with my left shoulder. It hurt enough to really limit the amount of weight I could use, but I can't tell if it is hurt (I didn't do anything that I can think of) or if it is just one of those things. I am afraid it is just part of life, and I seem to have more and more of those things.

I used to be able to bench my body weight (just 6 months ago). Now, I can't even bench my old easy lift. Not because of the weight, but because my wrists can't handle the angle of the bar.
My left knee is fine most of the time, but occasionally as I walk down the stairs or stoop to pick something up, it gets a sharp pain in the middle of the knee cap. My right thumb knuckle is sore most of the time (start of arthritis?). Now this thing in my shoulder.

I know I am whining. Most days I feel like I am still 20 and the mirror is a just cruel joke. I am sure once I get back in the swing of things and get over the soreness of coming back, I will be myself again and not this old woman that so rudely took over my body.

I need to go for a run.

1 comment:

E said...

Boy V, you sound really down. I'm sure you'll feel better in a few days. I can commiserate about how fast you lose fitness/muscle. Mine's long gone.

Weak? That must be relative, since I never have and never will be able to bench press my weight. I can't even get the bar up!

I don't know if these aches and pains are age-related, but if so, think about how much worse you'd feel if you were sedentary and overweight like most Americans. And a final point to cheer you up: at least you're not pregnant! ;)