I did it. I got up again this morning and went to the running store to link up with my new group. They are calling for snow today, so I prepared myself to deal with real crap for weather. We ran the same route as last weekend, which takes us down to the beach and along the oceanfront for several miles. Thankfully, it never poured on us, but it was a constant drizzle to light rain. The worst part was the wind. For crying out loud! This place is windier than anywhere I have lived. Even though the weather was yuck, I had a good run. I did 20 miles at a 7:57 pace while my new friends taught me a few things about perspective:
This is fabulous training weather. After all, if you can run in this then you are really prepared for race day no matter what happens with the weather.
Running face into the wind is like running hills. My "hill" training lasted about 6 miles and I felt like I was running in place.
Training runs are critical to running successfully at the marathon distance. Weather doesn't matter, but time on your feet does. Judging by the number of runners this morning, I am not the only one that realizes that.
The other way to look at this is masochists really need company, and we will do anything to convince each other that we are the better people for it.
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You're such an inspiration ~ I'll think of you when I'm walking on the treadmill doing my measly 3 miles in 45 minutes :)
V-I wish I had it in me. Even though it is beautiful sunny out, it is only 31 degrees and just the thought of running out there makes me shiver. (I have been southernized--CRAP!) I am heading to the gym instead. And, yesterday, while you were running, I looked out the window and said, "hell no!". Maybe that's why you run at 7:57 for 20 miles and I run at 11:28 for 5.
Post a Comment