Monday, January 28, 2008
Side Aches
Does anyone know how to overcome side aches? The only time I can run because of them is first thing in the morning before I have anything to eat or drink, even waiting several hours after I eat or drink doesn't help much. It puts a huge restriction on training, it's not only a pain in my side but a pain in the ass. Please help!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Rachel, I get those too. It's the only thing that keeps me from running more (other than being cronicly pregnant) and you're right it's a big pain in the ass. The only thing that works for me is to make sure I'm hydrated. I drink a little before I go and then take sips while I'm running. It doesn't work everytime but at least it's something to try.
I think V has some stretches to try too. Those also help when the water doesn't.
Good Luck!
Rachel,
I used to get them a lot. Here's what works for me:
When I feel one come on, I take a deep breath in. As I exhale, I bend forward and push inward on the cramp. Fully exhale and don't inhale until you are about to gasp. On the inhale, straighten up very tall so that the diaphram is stretched. I know I might look funny and sometimes I have to do it twice, but it really works for me. The trick is to exhale until there is absolutely no breath and then fill the lungs completely while stretching the diaphram and pushing on the cramp.
Good luck.
I used to get these a lot when I was running. Oh how I wish I had them now! My old track coach said they were from irregular breathing. Not sure if this is correct, but I am really bad about belly breathing. When I get a side stitch, I'll focus on deep breathing with my abdomen, not just chest breathing. This helps sometimes.
Another thing I'll do is stretch the arm that's on the same side as the stitch straight up in the air. As far as I can until I'm almost leaning over. That helps too. But like V. said, I look ridiculous running like this and it does nothing to promote proper form. People probably think I'm delusional and pretending to carry the Olympic torch.
I've also heard they're from weak abs and that core work can help. I do notice that they decrease when my abs are stronger, but you seem to do a lot of core work so this probably isn't your problem.
Hope you find the answer!
Rachel, I used to get them when I was younger (they're called getting a "stitch," though I don't really know why), and they were the reason I never used to run. In high school I could never even complete the one mile fitness test because it would hurt so badly. Try Googling "running stitch," but I seem to remember that when I used to look that up, it seemed that really focusing on your breathing was the big solution.
I have no idea why I suddenly stopped getting them, but all I can think of is that maybe it's because now I almost always run with my iPod, and listening to the music helps me regulate my breathing to go with the music? Just a guess.
Hope you can find a solution - those are the WORST.
I researched them, in summary... they don't know what causes them (although it's not linked to inner core muscles/ligaments), its pretty much a cramp near your diaphragm. The more you train the better they get and they go away with age, yippy for getting older! :)
I guess it could be worse, you can get them swimming and biking as well as running and I only get them running. I have been focusing on my breathing hopefully that helps.
Post a Comment