I was commenting to ABW and then I realized that it was about 5 pages long and just decided to post it instead :)
Here is what have to say about the shoe advice:
Here is my recommendation: If you can go to an actual running store, GO. That way you can try on a lot of different shoes and see which one you like best. Some of them even have that machine that can analyze your feet to tell you which one is the best type if you're not sure (depending on if you pronate, over pronate, your weight, etc).
I think a lot of picking out a shoe is obviously a personal choice and preference. I have always loved Saucony. Maybe it's just because it's what I've always went with since I've been a teenager. Although, if you like a cushioned shoe the Asics Gel Nimbus is a great shoe.
I always buy the older models of the current ones just to strike a deal. I never pay more than 70-80 bucks for a shoe :)
Also, one of the best deals out there is through Road Runner Sports. You can order a shoe and try it out for 60 days. If you don't like it they let you return it; NO QUESTIONS ASKED!. It is so awesome. Here's the link if you want to check it out. They also have some great deals going on if you want/need to stock up your workout gear and supplies.
Road Runner Sports Perfect Fit Program
Happy shoe hunting!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
The last time I purchased shoes I did so through Fleet Feet. This is a great running store if you have one in your area. I needed to make sure that I was in the propper pair and they're customer service was great. I had gone to them years ago in Louisville and I was able to find one in NC too.
I agree with Billie though. Road Runner is a great source to buy from if you don't feel the need to try on. I have bought several pair from them. And, I was flipping through their sale catalog while I ate my oatmeal this morning and they do have a great sale on their apparel right now. Not only is it on sale, if you buy 3 pieces, you get a fourth free.
Saucauny is my favorite shoe also because they have a little more room for my toes to wiggle around. And, with V's tieing technique, I have a perfect fit.
I concur with both Billie and Christy. I don't know what I would do without my running store. I used Road Runner while stationed out of the country. I started out in Saucony and then moved to Mizuno. I have tried Asics and Nike, but immediately got aches and pains. Most running stores will guarantee the shoes as well. If you have problems after a few runs, take them back.
You should also have your feet checked every few years or so. Things change as you get older, or your weight changes, or you have babies. I started out with terrible pronation, but as I got to be a better runner, my biomechanics improved and my stride got much better. For short runs, I can wear a neutral shoe. However, I find that a little support and is helpful as I fatique on long runs and my form declines. So, I compromise with a slight stability shoe.
I also buy a full size bigger than my street shoes, so that my toes have plenty of room and no black nails.
Thanks for all of the advice. I know the NB I have now aren't doing the job, so I'll find a store that can help me out. Guess I am headed to Austin!
Post a Comment