OK, you found me. I am sorry I disappeared for so long. Every now and then I just feel a need to lay low for awhile. It is usually because I am pouting and I know that I am not fit to live with so I am trying to spare the ones I care about. It is nice to be missed.
My running has been consistent. The weather is fabulous and I have not had any issues with my injury. I have gone to fewer runs each week, but longer distances so that I still manage 30 miles a week. I have been doing 2x 10-mile runs each week, one on the weekend and one mid-week. For the last 2 weekends, Ian has run with me (yes, the entire 10 miles)! I am been wanting a partner, but I really didn't think that person would end up coming from my own family. Even Tanner ran 4 1/2 with his dad this past Sunday. It would be cool to do a family relay one day! I am probably getting ahead of myself.

E posted on the question, why do you run? My mother saw this in a magazine and sent it to me. I thought it was appropriate for some perspective: You will have to click on the image to be able to read the article. The woman is Kathrine Switzer. She was the first woman to compete in the Boston Marathon. In order to do that, she actually had to fight off a race official. She finished anyway! She went on to launch running programs for women in 27 countries. She is now 60 and still running! Check out the photo of her at the bottom. It is hard to believe that running was discriminate against women and to me 1967 doesn't seem that long ago (I was 2 years old)! I mean, really, can you believe that women were not allowed to run in a race?! Oftentimes, when I am having a hard run, I pull out those motivating thoughts to push me through: The first thing that comes to mind are our war vets and the people we have lost, next are those that are ill or disabled. I have Milissa Etheridge's song, "I Run For Life" about breast cancer on my Ipod (very powerful). Finally, if necessary, I think about how far I have come in this running journey from someone who thought she could never run to completing marathons (and after 40, no less). These thoughts not only make me grateful that I am able to run; but make me ask myself how could I not run?
Our move is progressing. Friday was my last day at work, which is very bittersweet. I have really enjoyed the Ed Center. We found a house, which really means we found a school district for the boys. We will be leaving Germany the third week of June. We still do not know where we will go afterward. Stay tuned.
1 comment:
There's an article in this month's Runner's World about her too, with a caricature of this photo of the guys trying to pull her off the route. I wonder what these guys would say about their behavior now? I've also read that women now outnumber men in numbers of people who register for races.
Welcome back V!
Post a Comment