Monday, April 16, 2007

It felt great to be back in the gym! I love school! The kids were off for Spring Break for 11 days, my husband was gone, and the daycare was even closed=no chance to run! Ugh! I ran twice in the last 2 weeks. Once in the hotel fitness center, on a treadmill so flimsy that I felt like an elephant pounding on it. I was so bored I only made it to 3 miles. Then this Saturday night I ran the 5K night race I'd signed up for. To celebrate the kids being back in school, I spent all morning in the gym!

I had already planned on the 5K being a fun run. I drove 3 hrs home that morning, and the race was an hour away, so I knew I'd be tired from being on the road. Plus the lack of training time, and lastly, I was running with 3 other ladies who wanted to take it easy. One is 5 months pregnant, the other has a 3 month old and was late starting because she had to nurse (!), and the other was new to running, so we all planned on running at 10-minute pace. It was cold and windy, but a lot of fun. Very relaxing not to worry about pre-race carb-loading, hydrating, etc. I also wanted to use this race to practice my pacing since I always start out too fast. No Garmin and no split timer, but I still ran it at almost a perfect 10-minute pace. Then we celebrated with a fat meal at The Outback! My husband and the kids came to watch too, which was fun. They met me about 4 blocks from the finish line and the kids ran in with me. Too cute.

It was tempting to go fast though--if I'd raced this at the pace I did the St. Patrick's Day run, I'd have gotten 2nd for my age group. This race course was much easier. I could have gotten a trophy!

My dr's appt got postponed until next Tuesday, so I'll let you know then if I'm running the ATM. I'll give you a heads-up though. I'm most likely out. Maybe next year....

Have you been watching the Boston Marathon? I'm so glad I'm not out there.

Here are some pictures from my run. They're a little dark, but it was a night run.

Pre-race stretching

Me finishing:



Rear view--exactly 10 minute pace--very proud of myself for keeping an even pace

3 comments:

Christina/Christy/Chris said...

So, Beth, why don't you glow like your 80's neon shrouded fellow runners? Maybe if you had some camera bling on, you would have showed up better in the pics :-)

E said...

I thought I did! (You know that's me (#317), not the girl in the tank top--have you forgotten what I look like already?!) The yellow shirts were the ones they gave for signing up for the race. Actually very nice shirts--Brooks brand, reflective and dry weave. They asked everyone to wear them, and we were more than happy considering the weather. An extra layer helped. My shoes glow too, if you didn't notice!

Christina/Christy/Chris said...

Why, I guess I was just so focused on her because she stuck out. I could see the reflective strip in the first picture yesterday and kind of wondered why you took your shirt off. And I ASSuMEd that you still had your pants on. My power of perception is lacking. Ooops! It's obvious who you are, I just didn't look close enough at the middle picture the first time. I still love you though! Can I claim a blond moment, I did just put a few highlights back into my hair.