Hi all - you haven't heard from me because I've been in not-so-sunny, not-so-warm Tampa Florida! Though I am bummed I did not return to NYC with a savage tan (it was in the 40s in Florida!), I am proud to say I finished my first 15k ever - and I was running ten minute miles for most of it (which, for me, is pretty darn remarkable). My personal goal was to do the 9.3 miles at 12 minute miles - because my training after strep throat was so spotty! I haven't run more than twice a week for the past month - and was doing one short run and one long run a week (on the treadmill - I loathe the treadmill). I have to say though - I loved being outside and running again.
So, since I'm back, I'll chime in on the I-pod debate. My view would have been totally different pre-Tampa. But, here's how I feel now - if I had not had my I-pod in Tampa, I'd still be running. There were absolutely no spectators. None. And, the other runners I was trying to talk to along the way acted like I was interested in stealing their kidney. And, as beautiful as Tampa Bay is - you really have seen all you need to see of it after mile one. I needed my music so I wasn't bored out of my mind.
I do think that the Army ten miler is different - lots of spectators and lots of cute soldiers along the way (i'm single - i'm allowed to say that). BUT, sometimes you just need to hear "fighter" to make it to the next mile marker. That said, I'm still going to run it - the ATM - because it's a goal of mine to see if I can without the music - and because I have a lot of friends down there. But, I am all for considering the rockandroll half marathon. There are lots of those around the country and they do sound like a lot of fun.
Happy running, people.
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Cathy,
Congratulations! I am so proud of you. You must feel like you are on top of the world. I remembered that this was the timeframe for your race, but I was worried since the strep throat and we haven't heard much from you lately. I am so glad to hear that all worked out and you were able to run even faster than your goal. What an accomplishment.
You will have to post a picture for us.
V
Post a Comment