Sunday, February 11, 2007

Rain, Snow and a Game of Chicken With a Snotty Rabid Squirrel

No, E wasn't here.......

I had to do my long run today. We are getting close to Paris and even though I have let go of my initial time goal, I still haven't run longer than 10 miles since the fall and that was starting to worry me. So, today I set out with a goal of 12-13 miles. It was overcast, but not too cold, at least for the first 5 miles. Then, it started to rain. No problem, I'm tough, afterall E made it sound fun. Then, it started to mix with snow. That means the temperature is dropping. I don't like cold. Then, the bottom dropped out and it is pouring. I usually wear a ball cap, but not today. It was raining so hard the water was pouring down my face and dripping off my nose. It was all I could do to keep my eyes open to see. That's when the run-in with the squirrel happened. I was having one of those moments when you wonder why we do this, there is no one and I mean no one on my trail (yes, it is mine. I let people ride or run on it, but it's mine because I have run more miles on that trail than I can even count. It's mine. I really appreciate the people that maintain it for me. I wish I could thank them.) So, I am trying to run and not suck water into my lungs and drown when this squirrel starts running towards me. Yeah, another living thing on my trail. No, he wasn't rabid like I said in my title, but it makes for a better story. Now, this damn thing is really running straight for me. Is a squirrel really going to challenge me. Don't I look scary enough? Well, it is the best entertainment that I have at the moment so I decide to challenge the squirrel and see how far we can push this thing. At the very last second, the squirrel darted off the path and into the woods. I WON! YEAH for ME! After that excitement I still had about 5 miles to go before I got home, bummer.

I finished 13 miles in 1:45 and a 14th mile in an additional 10 minutes. I feel better. I know I can do the distance again. The 13 miles were all at or below an 8 minute pace, so I should be fine considering the weather, hills and the boredom of training alone. Both Paris and Prague are flat, yeah!

Update on the injury: Treadmills are hurting me. Everytime I run on a treadmill at our gym, my knee hurts really bad. Each time I run outside, I'm OK. I think the treadmills at the gym may need some maintenence. When was the last time they replaced the belts or balanced the beds? Anyway, other than my speed work, I will do my miles outside and pray for good weather. Now I am off to do Sunday chores.

No comments: