Saturday, February 17, 2007

Electrocution

I did not run today, but I did run yesterday. We have had 2 days of sunshine and the days are starting to get longer. I was able to run 7 miles yesterday before my physical therapy session. I went in to have my knee electrocuted. My doc put this medicine on a patch and then connected it to some energy pack with a clamp that looks a lot like the clamps on jumper cables. He put a second patch (no medicine) on my calf and put a second clamp on that one. I think that one was the ground. Then he turned it on. It kind of tingles/stings for about 30 minutes. I get to go again on Tuesday. I think it might be helping, because I do feel a lot better today. My experience with this PT has been great. First, he never told me to stop running. He listened to me, assessed my neurosis, and agreed to nurse me through these last few weeks of training, knowing that I plan to run like hell for the race in Prague. I agreed to stop the speed work, watch the hills, and try to slow the pace. I will compensate by running longer, slower and less often. So, instead of running 5 days a week, I will run 4 days with a day off in between each run. On the days that I run, I will run longer than usual, but slower. I may even get in more milage, but I also get more rest.

I have spent the week researching my new home. I was thrilled to find a rather large, very organized running group. They hold weekend long runs every week, as well as mid-week short runs! I can't wait to find a running partner(s). I am so tired of training alone. I look forward to living in an area that I can run outside all year round. I will really miss Europe, but Virginia Beach is an exciting prospect. How was your week?

2 comments:

Angie said...

Just wanted to tell you about my neighbor that I just met here. I mentioned that I was "training" to run the ATM but was wondering if the weather would ever let up (we just got another 4.5 inchesof snow yesterday). She then told me that she organizes a fund raiser for the Fisher House by running the Marine Corp Marathon. The Marines let you use your Ipod :) I believe they run this in DC...I fogot what she told me. Anyway, let me know if anyone is interested and I'll hook you up with her.

Maybe I have a running partner here after all!

E said...

Hope the PT works. Getting electrocuted sounds exciting! I usually take weekends off from running so not much to report. Monday is my big run: 7 miles. I'm going very slow though. It's so hard for me to slow down enough to get my heart rate in the right training zone, but I've got to do it. It's nice to finish and not be exhausted though. I'll be on the road forever.

I'm warming back up to the idea of the ATM. Maybe not having music will just force me to make new friends along the way! ("Hey you--you're running my pace so you're my new best friend.") I also have a personal reason for wanting to go to D.C. There's a bulletin board on the ATM website. Only one post that is a link to a Runner's World article, but maybe we could start a comment about no music?