Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Turkey Trot was a hard lesson in what my body can no longer do. I actually wasn't tempted to run because it was all I could do to keep up walking! I know I don't really look pregnant in that picture, but trust me, at 18 weeks, I feel it. I can't believe that not too long ago I could do a 5K at 8:30 pace without much trouble. This weekend, I struggled to maintain a sub-15 minute pace. I think our last mile was at 14:15. It might have been easier to jog than walk at that pace!

I really felt it after. My hip flexors ached all day and I was exhausted. The next day my hips were better, but my shins were sore. I can't believe that I've been reduced to a cripple just by walking! It's amazing how fast you lose your fitness.

But I'm OK with it. I know I'll get it back next year and I'm content to keep walking (a bit slower!) on a daily basis. I'm predicting that today is our last day of warm weather. Tomorrow and Thanksgiving there's a good chance for snow!

2 comments:

Vianne said...

You probably haven't lost as much as you think. You are likely sore because walking affects your muscles and joints differently than running, which is why you felt it in your hips and shins. In addition, relaxin is probably settling in about now to loosen your joints, making your hips more vunerable.

I know you must feel better now that you can do something. It should only get better from here. Next year it is your pick of races. I will meet you for a weekend of running.

By the way, it got up to 68 degrees today with a possible 70 tomorrow!

E said...

I walked again today, but slower and only 2 miles. I'm hobbling now and D. is worried I'm going to do some damage. I'm going to take a few extra days off.

I know the relaxin is affecting me--I've felt it for a while. My rt hip hasn't been right since I delivered M. A nurse dropped my leg when she had to hurry to get something else and it torqued my hip. It usually doesn't bother me unless I do a long run or sit for a long time, but it's a daily pain since I've been pregnant.

I have to figure out which is the lesser of two evils: if I don't walk I'm pain free but I get so stiff it's hard to get moving; if I run, I ache but at least I'm getting exercise and can move.

Let me find out where we're headed next, then I'll pick a race. It might have to be local for me since I expect D. to be deployed. A nice flat course sounds perfect!