So, turns out the gym by me that I thought had the pool, and that I thought was a "sign" I should register for the triathlon because - who knew I had a pool so close to me!???? It's a sign to do it!!!!! Welp - turns out - everyone calls it a pool, but it's a therapuetic pool... which means it's hot and it's more tub-like - therefore, let's call it what it is: a hot tub. SOOOOOO, challenge number one.... where do I swim? The next closest gym to me with a pool is on 91st street. I live on 48th.... so, it's kinda a haul. especially in the winter with wet hair...
but, i made the trek up on Saturday and.... challenge number two.... how do you swim again? I forgot. I did the mile - the distance for the tri - but with a kick board or doing the side stroke (which I kick ass at!!).... but, I literally forgot how to put my face in the water and breathe. So, I'm taking swim lessons starting on Wednesday night.
On the plus side a cute dude shared my lane with me, but, I of course, am not on my game with goggles and a swimcap on - and proceeded to laugh like a lunatic when he said to give him a bit of space because he was doing the breast stroke... I'm an eleven year old sometimes....
Overall, though, I'm having fun. I'm scared out of my freaking mind. But, I think this is going to be a challenge like I've never ever faced. And, I want to try. Also, V, I want you to come do the NYC marathon next year. I watched it for the first time with my friend Sarah (the fast one) and it was so much fun. I think you should do it. My two cents!! Cathy
Monday, November 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
"You have to dream a little. If you stay in your comfort zone, you're not going to do anything special." Deena Kastor- bronze medalist, marathon, 2004 Olympics
Yes, swimming takes a little practice to get the breathing and stoke timing down. I just asked one of my friends this am at the gym if I were to do a triathlon if I would benefit from swim lessons. I think you will really enjoy it once you have it down. I find swimming very therapeutic.
(Have you checked out the YMCAs in NYC. I don't know where you are located at but there are a ton all throughout the city (I just googled it). They should all have pools and teach lessons as well.)
I think I am going to hop on the bandwagon and do a sprint triathlon this spring as well. Driving the 29 hours to NC to bike 56 miles isn't very practical so I will just bite the bullet and do something either here in CO or back in SD when I visit this spring.
Cathy, you will have to let me know how the swim lessons go. My friend seems to think I will be able to pick it up with enough practice (hopefully without drinking half the pool).
Cathy,
You make me laugh. GE had some great pools. Once, when I took several kids to swim, I decided to hop in the lap pool and get some exercise done myself. Well, my experience was quite similar to yours. How do you swim? I used to spend my entire summers in the pool, surely I couldn't have forgotten. It will come back, just keep practicing.
I can relate to the trek to the pool. There is a running store here (actually a tri store) that does group workouts. On Saturday they do a group run at 7:30 AM all distances, all paces. Well, I am desperate for running company, so I got up at the terrible hour of 6:30 in the morning, on a weekend and then drove the 40 minutes to get there. It is worth it, and I will do it most weekends. Next time, I will think of you dragging yourself to the pool while I am driving to the store.
By the way, I hear that NY is a fabulous marathon. I would love to come spend the weekend with you and collect another T-shirt. I have several friends that will be nearby. Hmm...
Cathy and V ~ thanks for the reminder that I may be out of sorts when I start swim training in December.
Rachel ~ sorry you won't be able to round out our "all girls" team in May. It would be crazy to drive from CO. I found a decent airfare from Syracuse to Fayetteville so I won't have to endure the long drive.
V ~ I'll be on the look-out for a bicyclist as I'm sure you are, too. One caveat: they have to be FUN and not care if I really slow things down ;)
Post a Comment