OK, so I am at the local YMCA to pick up my number for the Turkey Trot tomorrow and I recognize this guy volunteering at the packet pick-up. I ran with him and his friend for about 7 miles during the OBX race. He was fabulous! After chatting a bit, and comparing race goals, pacing, and age groups, he got quite excited about me placing in the Master's Division. Mind you, he and his friend were easily running 7 minute miles and I was outside my comfort zone. Anyway, they paced me, encouraged me and eventually at mile 10, they left me. His name is Angelo and after looking him up in the race results, I learned he is 59 and placed second in his age group with a 1:32! What an inspiration, but that is not why I am telling you this...
I remind him of running together and he immediately recognizes me and proceeds to ask me if I am aware that the girl that beat me was paid to run that race?! Yep, her entrance and trip were paid for by the race organizers. That makes her one step short of elite, who have sponsors pay their way.
I can't tell you how much that just made my night. I didn't feel bad about losing to her. She really did beat me, but it is really fun to know that she is semi-professional.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I got nervous when I read your title--I was thinking someone was out to get you! Is this typical for races? Maybe it's a way to improve their results and get a bigger pool of entries.
You're doing a Turkey Trot? That seems awfully short for you. Are you in that post-race depression phase?
Have a great Thanksgiving everyone and eat lots of turkey!
One way to increase the field of runners for new races (this is the 2nd year for OBX) is to invite and pay for talent. If they have a good experience, they will come back as well as their competitors. It is also a way for semi-elite to win prize money, score good race times, qualify for bigger races, and attract sponsors. OBX has a flat course and os good for fast times. All in all, a great place to show if you are trying to break into the professional field. It is also good for the race organizers. If the border line races do well, it will get the attention of the elites and they will come. All of that attracts attention and draws even more amateur runners.
I just read an article that talked about how races are now the top fundraiser for cities. This is just one way they get bigger and therefore, make more money. November at the beach is pretty bleak economically.
The Turkey Trot this morning was a 10K. It was 75 degrees with a stiff wind. I placed 2nd with a slower time than I did the first 6 miles in OBX (44:26), but I got a funky turkey trophy.
Post a Comment