Monday, November 26, 2007

I feel like someone beat me with a bag of bricks....

First off - congrats to you all on your Trots! I have never done one - it sounds like so much fun and justification for eating your weight in stuffing. I'm going to look into it next year. And, V - I think we need a picture of the turkey trophy.

Second - my title - to explain.... a "Brick" workout is when you do two of the disciplines you'll do on race day to get your body used to transitioning.... I think the name comes from (V correct me if I'm wrong) "B"ike and "R"un +ick= Brick. A brick can be a swim to a bike ride or a bike ride to a run.

So, I officially started my Tri training on Saturday and did my first brick - 30 min bike ride (14 miles) followed by 10 minute run (1 mile). I decided that I'm going to follow the training religiously - even though I can clearly run a lot longer at this point. I thought this might be a good opportunity to work on my pace.

When I got off the bike, my legs felt like jellied cranberry sauce (normally I would say Jell-o, but in the spirit of the holidays - cranberry sauce). I could barely walk over to the treadmills. But, I got on it. Cranked up the music and ran a mile. The first few steps I couldn't really feel my legs - but, gradually, feeling came back and it actually started to feel really good.

All day saturday, I felt so proud. Like I can do this and this is going to be such an exhilarating challenge.... and then.... sunday.

I woke up and tried to get out of bed. My body would not agree to it. I was sore all day long. And, it was a cold, hard reminder. This is going to be tough and a lot of work. But I'm up for it!

On a side note, had a date last night with a dude who said he thought it was ridiculous to push yourself with running and races - summing up with "triathletes are stupid"... and then asked me what "primi" and "secondi" meant on the menu.... who's stupid?

2 comments:

Vianne said...

How cool are you?! I'm a bit of a masochist, but I love that feeling when I know I did something. And, even better if I know that most people would not even try. Good for you.

Sorry about the date. I hope dinner was good. What an idiot. So, not only is he scared of girls that can kick his ass, he is not willing to get off his and try to keep up.

Rachel said...

Cathy,

Did you just stare at your date like you are the biggest idoit I have ever met? Did you even bother replying? Just wait 'til race day... is there a tri-social before or after?

Have you started swim lessons yet? I haven't started to 'train' yet but have been in the pool 3 times per week. I am getting much more comfortable with the stroke and breathing, but those darn flip-turns... does anyone reading know how to do these? I hate getting water up my nose and I feel like I was beaten after about 10, and I haven't even attempted to try them while I am doing laps.