That is the question. The Europe Army 10 Miler is tomorrow and I have been debating whether to run or not. I ran this race the first year we were here in Germany and I remember that the rolling hills were hard and it was hot. Initially, I was going to run the Hohenfels Box Run on this day, so I didn't really think about it. Then the Box Run got cancelled. Then, I knew that we were going away for one last trip to Greece and so I would not want to worry about training just before a race. Then, we came back to Germany and the weather was terrible with rain and cold.
This brings us to today. I am going a bit stir crazy with no furniture and no job. The weather has changed to partly cloudy and 60-70 degrees and no rain. So, I called the race coordinators today to see if it is too late to register (it's not) and the most important question: can I wear my music on the course? (I can). You see, the Europe version of this run is much different. It is much more military focused because it is the qualifying race for the Europe Team for the Army Ten Miler in October. The top 10 male and female runners, plus 5 alternates are taken to DC to race. Not a lot of civilians run this race (since they can't qualify fo rthe team) and I feel like "just a wife" and worse a civilian. The last time I ran it, I was surrounded by one group of men and they were very focused and not having a lot of fun. There was no comraderie, just men running and grunting. The course is an out and back that runs along the tank trail, so there are no spectators until the finish, just a long quiet boring run over hills with grunting men that really don't appreciate a woman in their midst (nothing personal, they just think that they should be able to run faster to me, so I am an insult to them). I would also have to go alone since Pete is working and I would have to leave at like 6:30AM (YUK!). I know I am being a weenie, but I don't feel like I have trained enough to do as well as I can. I know I can run the distance, but I am not sure about my time. I know I shouldn't care, but again lots of soldiers, very competitive environment. If I am going to be one of the few civilian wives out there, I want to make sure that I have a good showing.
Oh well... I registered, I'm going and I am likely going to kill myself to make sure that I don't embarrass myself. I just pray that I don't throw up.
Friday, June 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good Luck!
Post a Comment