I changed the song again--this one is a guilty pleasure. I actually like the remake version on iTunes better. It's a little faster paced. I'm always up for suggestions! I can't get the Miranda Lambert songs or Cheetah Girls song V. requested.
I'm considering doing the ATM again. I know I could do the mileage and the no-music rule doesn't even bother me anymore. But to be honest, the size of the race terrifies me. I've never done a race longer than 4 miles, and I've never done one with more than a hundred or so people. Tens of thousands? I'm sure I'll get trampled, or commit some running faux pas I've never heard of. And how do those darn chips work? I shouldn't let it bother me--I know I won't be the only race virgin out there. But it's still scary.
Sunday, June 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I completely understand your neurosis. My first race, I was so apprehensive about all of those things. I still get nervous, but now I know it is the standing around part that I hate. Once the gun goes off, I can calm down.
The beauty of all of us staying in the same hotel is that we can aleviate some of these fear like the chip thing and the morning logistics. Cathy and I can help with the numbers, chips, bags etc.
The size of the race is huge. I ran with 40,000 in Berlin and honestly I don't care for big races. However, it is worth it to be a part of something so powerful. Negotiating your way around people can be difficult at the start of the race, but usually within 2-3 miles it starts to thin and you can settle in to your stride.
I have already decided that I am not going to race this one. My first race was the Microsoft 10 miler in DC (the same course as the Army 10). I had a friend that was a race veteran and marathoner. She ran with me and talked me through the whole thing. It was nice to have someone with me and not have to think about anything other than running. I would love to run it with you and anyone else who wants to together. I can help you weave your way through the crowd and do the thinking for you.
No worries my little race virgin. Trust me; I promise you'll love it.
I'll take all the help I can get! As long as you don't mind the old lady shuffle. The idea of going that far without music or someone to talk to isn't exciting, so someone to chat with will be wonderful too. I'm not going to set a goal pace until it's closer to the date and I see how I'm doing. Listen to me: talking about goals and I haven't even committed to the race yet!
Post a Comment