Thursday, March 1, 2007

That whole thing on the right about "life getting in the way" happened to me today. My plan was to run 4 miles this morning on the treadmill. I wanted to use the heart rate monitor to see if I've made progress in getting my heart rate lower. I put new insoles in my shoes and wanted to try them out. I was 1/2 a mile into it when my phone rang. My daughter's school was sending her home due to suspicious pink-eye. Ugh! So my plan is ruined. And to top it off, she doesn't have pink eye.

I have adapted and am going to run this evening instead. I'm not very good at adjusting fire (as the boys would say), but my plan says 4 miles, so 4 miles it is. I have to go to the gym which I hate doing in the evening (I prefer to avoid the meat market). Maybe I should break down and by a treadmill (again).

I think the running slow has helped. I feel stronger and not as tired after my runs, and I'm able to run a little faster with less exertion. Plus I really look forward to the speed days!

My training book says not to count "junk miles". But those are my favorite! Don't count warm-ups/cooldowns and little trots to the store or whatever. In short, don't count a run unless it's at least 2 miles. So my half mile this morning doesn't technically count, but it's still time on my feet, so I'm adding it in!

I'm running a race on St. Patrick's Day. I said earlier that I would do the 10K, but that has changed. Again, life is in the way. It's an hour away and babysitting will be an issue. Instead, there is a local race I'm going to run. I just don't know how far it is. I'm guessing 3-4 miles. I'm afraid it will be like the last race I ran here which included 2 miles in sand. My calves screamed for days and my time sucked. I need to do a training run or two on that route just in case. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Vianne said...

I know what you mean. This week has been quite the juggle to get my miles in. In addition, I am running 8-12 miles each time, so it takes a lot of time for scheduling. Add the PT and I feel like I am either always in gym clothes or carrying my gym bag so that I can change somewhere.

No speed work for me since my knee injury and it adds to my neurosis.

I am glad to hear you have a race planned. It will do you good and it is a great measure of progress. Training on the route will add to your confidence. I can't wait to run together.