Monday, March 5, 2007

What's wrong with a little neurosis?

V's admission that she's getting crazy reminded me of how nuts I got after my last (and only second) race. I ran my first race on 10/25, which was 4 miles on the road. Then 10 days later I ran a 5K trail race. I ran the 4 mile race in 36:04 and I had a lot left in me after, so my goal for the 5K was to go a bit faster. I think this 5K course will be the same one they're running on St. Patrick's Day. It took me days for my calves and Achilles tendons to get back to normal! This is an email I wrote afterward:

11/4
I ran my 5K race this morning and I'm so disappointed in myself. I only ran it in 27:36, or an 8:54 pace. I really wanted 8:45. I am so down right now. I have absolutely no high after this run.

In all fairness to myself, it was a tough course. One mile on a track, 1/2 mile of rocks and mud, then 1 1/2 miles of loose sand. I know running on sand is hard and I've never done it, but still. I just talked to my husband and he says I'm being ridiculous (in his most supportive voice). He did point out that I only missed my pace by 9 seconds, that trail runs are always slower, sand is brutal, and I placed 7th overall for women. As you can tell, not many women ran!

It was freezing too. 40 degrees, but at least there wasn't much wind. I don't think the temperature bothered me though. Then again, maybe I am a little hypothermic considering I'm wearing 3 layers on top and 2 on bottom, I've been inside for an hour, and I'm still chilled.

Isn't racing supposed to be fun? I guess this is where you get your motivation. I'm putting a video in for the kids and headed for the shower--my calves are killing me. I just want to curl up in a hot tub, listen to my angry music, and cry. Don't worry--I'll be fine after a nap!

P.S. And I thought my new shoes would make me fly! :)

No comments: