Friday, March 2, 2007
Carrying Water
As I think about carrying water with me on a longer run, I am not sure what to do. I am not sure that a fanny pack sort of thing would work. Back in the dark ages, I had a CD player that strapped around my waste that bounced up and down and made me crazy; I always ended up taking it off and hand carrying it. And, the zipper pockets of pants and shirts just aren't big enough. Right now I am on the treadmill or close to home so water isn't an issue. But, I would like a change of scenery as the weather gets nicer. So, how do you guys carry water on longer runs and not get annoyed or chaffed? And, how often do I really need to be sipping on a 10 mile run? (No, not there yet, but I am working on it.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
You have got to buy a Fuel Belt (fuelbelt.com). I bought it for the warm runs in Iraq and it was well worth it and EVERYONE was jealous I had one.
I used the 4 bottled version but be sure to buy 2 of the bigger bottles for longer, warmer runs because I would run out with just 4 of the normal sized bottles. There is a pouch in the back that works well for putting your MP3 player in also (and keys and ID).
You don't notice you're wearing it at all!
I use a camel back fanny pack. I had the same concerns you do about bounce. Pete assured me it wouldn't and he was right. I wear it right on my waist so that it fits in the small of my back. The belt itself is quite wide and I think that is why it doesn't bounce. There is a pocket on the outside for keys, ID, and phone.
I tried the bottles that Jon and Billie recommended, but I can't seem to get them back in their holder when I pull them out for a drink. Is there a trick to that? Please clue me in because I liked the idea of several different bottles. I could put different kinds of Gatorade in each one just to shake things up. Those belts also come with gel holders. Can you tell how bored I got while marathon training?
Not sure if there is any trick. I always just shove mine back in there.
I really do like it beause I did mix some with gatorade and some with just water. Sweet in that sense. Oh, and I haven't tried out the official gel holders...might have to get some of those! I always just shoved them in the back pocket....I could always fit about 4 in there :).
-Billie
I went ahead and bought a fanny pack because I had to have something, the PX was closing in 5 minutes, and that's all they had. I put it on my back too and it didn't bounce. Guess you've got to just try them out.
As for how much, the training books will give you an amount, but I've found it's way too much for me. When I first started running, I was getting waterlogged! I can run 4 miles without needing anything to drink. I usually take 1 or 2 drinks every 2 miles though. My book says 5-10 oz every 30-45 minutes (one big swallow is an oz) for easy runs.
I've heard V. describe herself as a camel so I don't think she drinks much either. Of course, it depends on heat/humidity/wind/how hydrated you are starting out/how much you sweat/etc too. Again, you need to experiment. Sorry if this wasn't that helpful--I guess my main point is don't be surprised if what you need is less than what is typically suggested.
Hey E, what is the name of the book you are using. I think you named it somewhere along the way, but I couldn't seem to find it.
V. recommended it to me. It's called "The Competitive Runner's Handbook" by Bob and Shelly-Lynn Glover. The title sounds intimidating, but the book is written for all levels, even those starting out just walking. I happened to find it at the Thrift Shop--best 25 cents I ever spent! :) I also recommend "The Runner's Training Diary" by the same authors. I started using it just a few weeks ago and really like seeing everything written out.
Post a Comment