Friday, March 30, 2007

My personal trainer

My first day with my new personal training was not all that I had expected it to be. The first session is just 30 minutes long. It was a little confusing getting all set up and Freddie checked into the daycare. I found out they don't change diapers so if he needs a diaper change, they come and get me. Ok, that's fine. I probably won't be there that long anyway.

So, I meet with Erin who, like I said before, is beautiful, healthy, athletic, skinny, tall, perky, tan and toned. Everything I wish I was. I think I'm going to tell her to try out for America's Next Top Model. I'm sure she'd win. She was slightly disorganized and didn't even check my weight (she did ask what I weighed) or my blood pressure (and that was after I told her about my recent hypertension problem after having Freddie). She did tell me that my BMI was too high, 34% and I agree. This is why I'm going to the gym in the first place. She asks me what my goals are and I tell her I'd like to be able to run the Army 10 miler in October and I want to loose 10-15lbs. Then she asks me what parts of my body do I like the least. Humm, I'm actually thinking everything but I tell her arms, legs, butt. She told me that she wanted me to take the Yoga classes and to do at least 1 hour of cardio 3 times a week. Wow! That's a lot for me. I told her I think I could 30 minutes to start and I'd work up to 1 hour. And what about toning? When do I do that? Will the Yoga help? I have lots of questions. Anyone have any advice?

Next she takes me out to the machines and shows me their elliptical machines. I had already told her I have one of these at home but I didn't say anything because I think she is the expert and she must have a plan. So, I get up there and the first 15 minutes were tough but then I "settled in" and I felt I could do that forever. I did my 30 minutes and took my baby home.

I guess I'm a little disappointed at her lack of personal attention for me. I had expectations but I didn't let her know so I'm also upset with myself for not saying anything. I'm hoping the next time I go she has a plan for me rather than just sticking me on a machine and disappearing. If that happens again I may ask for another trainer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

E said...

I haven't used a personal trainer yet, but I've watched all of them here. They always spend their time guiding their clients through a lift workout, then assign the cardio for later. I've never seen any of them stick someone on a machine and leave. I might ask for my money back for this "session". Go with your gut--if you're not comfortable with this trainer, find one you are. Or just wait until I get there! ;)

If this 1 hr seems like too much, break it up. 30 minutes in the am, 30 minutes in the pm. Or 20-20-20. In fact, I've heard this method is better for losing weight. Your metabolism remains elevated after a workout, whether it's 20 minutes or 60 minutes. If you break it up, you maintain that elevation throughout the day.

Remember too--the cardio time doesn't have to be spent on a machine. Put the baby in the stroller and just go around the block a few times. Or walk the kids down to the playground that's far away instead of the one in the backyard. Things like that.

Yoga can be good for toning, but I find the results are slow to come. It's great for stretching and relaxation though, so I recommend it. If yoga is her toning plan for you, I'd ask her to develop a lifting plan instead. It's important to learn proper technique for lifting and this is what you're paying her for: to teach you something.

Rachel said...

You shouldn't being paying her for that. She should have done a fitness assessment (to include a step test, push-ups, sit-ups, flexibility, etc) on your first day to see were you are at and then set goals with you.

At the YMCA in town your entire 60 minute session the trainer never leaves your side and always starts with weights and then puts you on the cardio at the end of your session. They also give you nutrition advise, etc.

She may have stuck you on the machine because you have the Army ten-miler as your main goal? I would definately speak up at your next session and mention some of these things.

Vianne said...

Fire her now. Personal trainers that are worth their pay would never work this way. You should expect-
1. She should be Nationally certified. Example: ACE (American Council on Exercise)
2. She should do a complete body composition. This should include: height, weight (actual measurements, not what you think. I thought I was 5'3"...not), blood pressure, stress tests (like Rachel mentioned) and a body fat test with calipers, not a BMI based on height and weight. These are a terribly inaccurate.
3. She should talk with you about your goals. It sounds like she did this, but she should have spent more time talking with you about what amount of time you felt you could contribute towards these goals and a timeline for meeting them. She should help you come up with 3 goals that overlap a bit, short-term with a quick pay-off, mid-range to validate your hard work and keep you going, and your long-range.
4. Based on that information, she should offer you a well written exercise plan (weights and cardio) with plenty of variety. Since you have purchased several sessions with her, she should walk you through the weight portion, offering guidance, spotting, encouragement and most importantly education on proper form. The cardio is on your own time and you never pay for that. When you have a session she should be with you the entire time. The workout should be written (in a way that you can understand with pictures) and filed in a place at the gym where you can retrieve it and work on your own if you want. Afterall, you may want to spread out your sessions so that you have a trainer once a week or so to encourage you to the next level, spot you on a heavier weight day and evaluate you for progress. That means that you need to be able to work alone for some of your workouts. You say that Fred bought you 6 sessions, did she talk with about how you would use those sessions?
5. After your workout, she should help you stretch out and council you on nutrition.
6. You should leave feeling tired, but pumped up and empowered. You should feel proud of yourself. You should feel inspired to back up your efforts by watching your food. You should be looking forward to your next workout with her.

I am sorry, I have gone on so long. I would not waste my money on her again. I know that can be awkward, but you deserve quality support in your efforts for fitness. If your money is already invested, ask for a new trainer as soon as you go back. There should be a head trainer responsible for the program and the other trainers. Ask for him/her and make sure they understand your expectations. Please let me know how it works out.