I ran another "5K" this morning. I put it in quotes because they told us ahead of time it was really 3.3 miles. I guess I'll chalk this race up to experience. And it was a bad experience.
I was wishy-washy going into it. All week I said I was going to just run it for training, not race it. Since the weather was questionable, I didn't even decide for sure that I was running it until an hour before. I prepared the day before and morning of like I was running, but mentally I wasn't plugged in. I knew the route beforehand and was afraid. It's the route I train on all the time, so you'd think that would be a plus. But I psyched myself out because I knew how bad the hills would be. The thunderstorms held off, but it was rainy. There was no registration, no numbers, no timer, and only about 30 people showed up.
I started getting wound up this morning, and when I got there, the adrenaline started flowing, so I decided I'd race it. Of course, I started off too fast, with all the other rookies who sprint out the gate. I'm really trying to slow down on this part, but it's so hard for me to judge my pace with everyone else around me. I talked myself out of racing it about 2/3 through. In fact, I walked two hills. No one passed me during these walks, but it killed my pace, obviously. And the worst part of all: I did not finish. Well, I finished. In fact, I ran 3.5 miles. I just didn't cross the finish line.
The course was horribly marked, and at the end they had us running through a parking lot filled with cars and people preparing for a festival. No markers or ropes or anything, just someone pointing us in that direction. I was by myself and couldn't see anyone in front of me or behind me, so there was no one to follow. When I got through the parking lot, I couldn't see any signs and turned at the wrong spot. When I looked at my Garmin and noticed I'd gone 3.5 miles, I knew I was wrong.
I could have turned around and figured out the right way, but I was closer to my car if I kept going and how embarrassing would it be to join back up with the pack! So I missed out on the cheap 50/50 polyblend t-shirt that was 2 sizes too big--I'm not losing sleep over that. I can't figure out what makes me more mad: that I let my evil twin and fear talk me out of pushing it, or that I made the wrong turn, or that the course was so poorly set up.
I'm sure there's something positive I can take away from this race, but I haven't figured it out yet. You've got to have the bad runs to appreciate the good ones, right? This race was such a mental struggle for me the whole way that I don't even remember the actual running or my music. Maybe I should have focused more on my music and let it distract me.
Saturday, March 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh my dear friend! I am so sorry...that was a terrible story. You have certainly earned your ice cream today.
Let's see, what can you say that you learned? Well, now you have a worst case senario. You have a very tangible example of how not to race. Great news, your next race will be better (how can it not). You obviously need new/louder music. And, maybe we need to attach a GPS to you so that we don't loose you with your lack of direction. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Clearly, this race was set up by idiots. I bet they are are overweight, non-running, smokers. Local, small races can be hit or miss. I have literally had a guy smoking a cigarette while he was handing me a cup of water at a water stop. Thanks, but no thanks. Really, you know they didn't do a good job of setting up a well organized race. This is on them, not you. I just hope no one was attempting their first race.
I wouldn't have finished either. Although I can't help but think you were lucky you didn't have the family waiting for you to cheer for you at the finish.
Lick your wounds and try again. I bet Kansas City has great, organized runs at every distance.
I had a GPS--which was reassuring since I was really concerned that I might get bitten by a snake as I trudged through the wilderness by myself! I thought, "Well, maybe they can find me with my Garmin!"
The lead organizer was the one who pointed me through the parking lot. As I ran by, I told him it was a hard course. "Really?", he asked. So he obviously doesn't run. My husband even admitted how tough it is and he likes to deny those sorts of things.
There was a first-timer there--met her in the bathroom. She said she had just gotten to the point where she could run 3 miles and she wasn't even sure how far a 5K was. I warned her about the hills and that it would be tough.
As I drove home, I got anxious that D. might have taken the kids to the finish line to surprise me. I pulled into our street just praying I saw his truck! It was there, thank God.
I have another one in 2 weeks. This one is professionally done and a certified course. It's a road race, an hour away, and it starts at 6:30pm. That's all I know. You're right--it can't be worse!
Post a Comment