Ft Bliss is located at the base of the Franklin Mountains. Most people think that it is just a flat desert out here. It is a desert, but we have a fabulous view. Sunday, I did my long run through McKelligon Canyon. From my house it is a steady rise for 2 1/2 miles to the canyon road. Then, another 2 1/2 miles up the canyon road for a total climb of 1000 feet in elevation. It as a very hard run. But, the 5 miles home was all downhill and fast. It was really beautiful. The canyon road has lots of walkers and a few bikers in the morning. It does get hot fast. Later that day, Pete, Tanner and I went back and hiked one of the trails and took these pictures so you guys could see.


I am not sure if I told you guys that we got 2 Jack Russell puppies in February. That's Piper (for sandpiper) with me and Obie (for OBX, the Outer Banks Beaches) with Pete. Piper is starting to run with me. She can easily handle 3 miles. Together they are known as the boogers.
4 comments:
You will love the hills, they make for lovely and shapely legs and gluts. When you lived in CO, did you ever do the Incline?
Cute puppies, will they be able to do longer runs once they are older?
I can't wait to be back in the desert!! It looks amazing there.
Rachel,
I do love hills and did plenty in Hohenfels. Virginia had wind, but no hills. Here, I get both. I never did the incline in CO. I started running in CO just before we moved. I was still learning how and dealing with injuries. I didn't take on too many challenges.
Piper ran 6 miles with me on Friday. I have been running with both of them, but Obie really holds us back. I would love to run with both, but honestly, Obie will take more training and Piper seems to just understand. When I run with her, she stays on my left and doesn't get distracted. It is an easy pace and we feel in sync. Obie does not have the endurance. Unfortunately, Obie is offended if he is left and he cries mournfully.
Kelly, I am glad to hear that you got a house. You will love living on post. There is a 3 miles track right in front of my house. There is parking at various places around the path. What housing area did they assign you?
I'm not sure yet - when they called to tell us we had housing I didn't get many details, just that we had a house. I'm following up this week hoping to get an address because they won't even move our stuff out of Ft. Knox without an address because Bliss storage is full at the moment.
Post a Comment