Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Happy Birthday V!

V!!!!! You look absolutely fantastic and hope you had a great day celebrating! I love your new running buddies! Pretty amazing that even one of them can keep up with you. My family's really involved in dog rescue and one of the great fallacies out there is that ALL dogs are runners. They aren't. Some are meant to run long distances but some couldn't care less about running. Glad you found a kindred spirit in at least one of them!! :-)

Fort Bliss looks gorgeous. Who knew?! Stunning. I was up visiting angie at Fort Drum recently...stunning in a different way. It was really pretty but it rains a lot!!! I guess it's due to being so close to a great lake....

I'm doing well down in NYC (I'm not going to complain about the 90 degree heat so as not to upset E ... :-) !!!) It's hot though. I'm getting excited for my race next month. Really excited, actually. I hit my stride last weekend on my long run. It felt great. I had forgotten how much I love getting past mile 3 and just settling in to the zone. I almost get hypnotized a bit. Sounds silly. Anyway, now that I'm not thinking - I need to bike 30 miles after this or that was a lousy swim I just did - I'm just able to enjoy the purity of my feet hitting the pavement and let myself kinda sink into that mode. I love it. I missed it. I need to think about why that wasn't enough for me. There's still much for me to conquer in the world of running. I can get faster and I can go longer.

That's it on my end. All best girls. C

1 comment:

E said...

Nothing silly about settling in or getting hypnotized. That's the best--when you realize you just ran a mile and don't remember it. I call it autopilot. So far, the bears scare me too much up here to relax into that mode. Maybe in the winter when they're hibernating!