Friday, July 25, 2008

V. and Rachel--you both look great! Cathy--good luck with the Nike Human Race! I'm jealous of everyone. I wish I was in shape enough for a 10K and if I hear one more person complain about 90 degree temps I'll scream! Our low last night was 35! It did make it up to 70 today though, first time it's been out of the 50s in a week. Everyone keeps telling me this has been a particularly cool summer, even by Alaska standards, but that doesn't make it any better.

I've been swamped trying to get through my cardboard castle, but I can see the carpet now so I know I'm making progress. I finally found my scale. (As if I'd been looking for it) The good news is I've lost weight in the last 6 weeks, which is a huge accomplishment during a PCS. The bad news is that it was only 2 lbs so I still have 7 to go.

I have used my treadmill twice now. I have two training plans I'm following. I was going to go with the New Runner plan since it's been so long and I feel so out of shape, but I was able to do the Fit Beginner workout so I went with that. It was only 2+ miles. It took me a mile to get the kinks worked out, but then I felt great and remembered why I run. No muscle soreness or achy joints. The only problem is my pelvis. It's still not back to normal. It's mostly a strength issue I think, but I don't know what exercises to do. Lower abs, back, or hips? Probably all. Any advice?

My new snacks are rice cakes, particularly the chocolate and caramel ones. If you take a chocolate one and spread a very thin layer of peanut butter on it so you don't drown out the chocolate, then close your eyes, click your heels and say, "there's nothing like a Reese's cup" three times, then it kinda' tastes like one. Who am I kidding? :) It does take the edge off my sweet tooth though and the kids love that they can have as much of this kind of "chocolate" as they want.

2 comments:

Vianne said...

Hey E!
Glad to hear you are finding your floor. You will bounce right back once you get started. As far as your question about pelvis strength, I would reccommend a balance board or cushion. Incorporate some type of instability with your weight training to strengthen your core. I used to stand on the balance disk (cusion) to wash dishes or fold clothes.

http://performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4407_A_CategoryID_E_232

http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_5099_A_CategoryID_E_331

Let me know what you think.

E said...

I've been thinking about getting those disks. My birthday is coming up--maybe I'll ask for those (I always struggle to find ideas when D.asks).