Thursday, February 14, 2008

Who the Hell is Morton?

I need to catch up since there seems to be lots of things I have been thinking and not writing.

Last Saturday I did my long run with my group. We did 23 miles. You know, the first time we did 18, I was fine. Then, we did 20 and I suffered the last 2 miles. The next time we did 20, I was fine. This week I suffered the last 3 miles, so I am hoping that when we do it again I will be strong to the finish again. I have several issues with one foot that I will go into in a minute, and that caused me lots of grief. I still managed a 7:57 pace overall, so no one is going to feel sorry for me. I was pretty sore and really tired the rest of the day, but I felt fine on Sunday. It took me 3:03 to run it, so I am hoping that a 3:30 marathon is a reasonable goal.

This week has not been my most successful as far as gaining miles. The burn out is high and the miles are long and boring. The nieghborhoods on my run are all about a one mile loop. I need a new view. That said, you learn a lot about your neighbors when you run past their house everyday. I think I will fall about 4 miles short this week with a total of 37. It is supposed to be a step down week of sorts anyway.

I have my last race in the distance series this Saturday. It is 18 miles. I am hoping for a smooth, consistent 8 minute pace with a strong finish. If I really play it right, I will do the first 6 at 8 minutes, if I feel good I can take the next 6 at 7:55-7:50 and drop it again for the last 6 if all is well. That would be a huge confidence builder.

I did better with yoga this week. Familiarity with the poses helps a lot. I still don't "like" it yet, but I think I will in time. No matter, it is good for me and so I will do it.

My right foot has an interesting injury. It is called a Morton's Neuroma. Essentially, The nerve on the bottom of my foot between toe number 3 and 4 is swollen and inflamed. You know how it feels when there is a rock in your shoe? Well, I feels like there is a rock in my foot. After so many miles, it hurts like hell! Then, I start to compensate and next my arch is on fire and my big toe feels like it is bruising. When I finished the 23 miles, I actually teared up it hurt so bad. The diagnosis is not good. It will get worse until there is nerve damage and then it will require surgery to remove it. Sounds like fun! Unfortunately, it was easy to find other vistims amoungst my running group. No one had anything positive to offer. I should be able to get through this marathon and hopefully nurse it until I can move.

2 comments:

E said...

I had that too! From what I've read, you should avoid surgery at all cost. The results are iffy and rehab sucks. I tried all kinds of things like orthotic insoles, gel insoles, ice, running on grass instead of roads, etc. It usually took about 3 miles for it to start bothering me.

So what helped? For me, it turned out to be new shoes. Mine didn't have that many miles on them so it didn't occur to me that that could be the problem. But as soon as I got a new pair (not a new brand/syle) the pain was gone. I compared the two soles and there was definitely a difference in the thickness. Maybe you need more cushion?

Good luck with the race!

Rachel said...

Not sure if that is what my dad had, he had nerve damage to the bottom of his foot and could barely walk, the only thing that helped him was cortasone shots 3 times a year 'til it seemed to get better on it's own. Good Luck, it's horrible to have pain while doing something you enjoy.