It looks like we'll be heading to Alaska, which means I'm in the market for a treadmill. I won't get one until after we move, but I like to do research ahead of time. I don't have any idea what are must-haves or unnecessary options. I think I'd like one with a heart rate monitor. Does anybody have any recommendations/advice?
Also, I found this picture online and loved it. Check it out. It certainly won't be boring there!
Saturday, February 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm not really an expert on treadmills, as I usually hop on the elliptical when I'm forced to run indoors. However, I've never been able to use a heart monitor on a treadmill very well unless I want to stop running and just walk. You might be better off getting a heart monitor with a chest strap and then finding a treadmill that syncs up with it.
E,
I loved having one in GE. Between the weather and kids at home, it was a lifesaver.
Look for one that has a long bed. Amazingly many sales people showed me treadmills that looked a bit short. When I commented on these "space savers," they would say that that model would be good since I was short, or they would assume I was walking or jogging slowly therefore, not needing anything for a long stride.
Mine had an adjustable surface. I like my surface to be a bit firm; Pete likes it softer for his knees. If you don't have an adjustable surface, be sure to note the surface when you run on it since they are somewhat different by model.
Buy a recognized model and ask about the service needs. Make sure that you can have that done in Alaska. Will someone come to the house? Will you have to be able to replace parts yourself?
You don't need it to read a heart rate, but it certainly kills two birds with one stone. If you don't have a heart rate monitor, then get it with the treadmill. If you get one on the treadmill, ask if it is compatible with other straps. If not, does it come with a wrist reader for outside running?
Finally, run on it and make sure that it is stable and somewhat quiet. It will be much louder in your house than in a big store. And crank up the pace, they usually get louder and more unstable. I made Pete run on it since he is heavier and taller.
I hate running inside, but it is worse on a whimpy treadmill. They are expensive. This is not the place to scrimp. By the way, I had no problem selling when we left. I never even advertised.
By the way, I just love the moose photo. As I say that, I am reminded of the cows on the running paths through Garmisch. They scared me. Will moose (what is the plural?) charge at you? Are they docile? They are really big and they have big horns. Can you figure this out before I visit?
Moose will charge and can be mean!
Thanks for the advice! I've decided to use the money I would have spent on a high-speed jogging stroller on a treadmill. I could bundle myself up enough to run in -40 degrees, but not an infant.
I hear moose (you are correct on the plural) can be mean and aggressive (and they're absolutely huge!), but mostly just the bulls during mating season. Or the cows if you mess with their babies.
E I just got a new computer and your blog was saved under my favorites in my old computer. You are going to have to send me an invitation to your blog again! THe only thing I like about my treadmill is that it folds up when not being used...other than that it's pretty boring!:0)
Post a Comment