Friday, March 2, 2007

It "Runs" in the Family

Both of my kids have surprised me this week. Ian (age 16) ran a 5:35 mile for a JROTC Cadet Challenge at school. Then, Tanner (age 8) wants to run the next 5K fun run in March, so I took him out to see how far he could run. I kept him at a 10 minute pace, thinking he would maybe get two miles. Nope, he talked the whole time and finished all 3 miles, with a sprint at the end! By the way, it is all uphill coming home.

The crazies are starting to bubble up in me. I have had some really great runs this week. I did 11 miles on Wednessday and actually ran three of those miles faster than I have ever run (7:21, 7:16, 7:13)! I feel strong and comfortable with the distance, but now I worry that I have to maintain the peak for 3 weeks. Just thinking about the Prague Half Marathon makes me so nervous. I really want to reach my goal (to run at most a 1:38 and place in my age group). I am scared that I won't be able to. In order to do a 1:38, I have to run a 7:31 pace. Although I have run that pace before, I haven't done it for 13 miles and it just seems so damn fast that it overwhelms me and the negative talk starts in my head. I ran a 7:50 pace for the box Half Marathon and 20 seconds per mile is a lot to take off, but the box is full of HUGE hills. That's what it is known for. Prague is flat. I know...what's the worst that can happen? I won't make my goal and the world will go on just fine. I can try again at another race. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I told you I would get neurotic. I don't want to try again; I want it this time. And I want beautiful weather, no crowds, my cute outfit to arrive in time, and if there is a faster over 40 chick I want her to fall down. I don't want her to get hurt, just fall down.

I have a 10 miler today followed by 12 with Shelley tomorrow. That will be the last long run before Paris next weekend. We have had lots of wind and rain this week. I am getting tired of running in this crap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

V,
It sounds to me as though you are in a good place. Three weeks to go and you are strong and are excited. Maintaining a peak is an art, but the key thing to remember is that you no longer need to push for greater fitness - all you need to do is relax and absorb the season of training that you have already done. By doing this, you will continue to get stronger, feel lighter and run faster. This is the taper. By race day, 7:31 mile pace will be in your legs. You have done the work to run 1:38. It is time to let it sink in.

- 1:05 guy in Canada