I'm so frustrated. I'm tired of running slow. I wouldn't be so tired of it if I saw more improvement, but I'm getting impatient. It has helped with my heartrate, but I'm getting bored and I'm going to take a break from it. So I decided I was going to run hard today.
I ran 3 miles at an average 9 minute pace. I started off slow--it took me a mile to settle in. I got up to 7:18 at one point (don't be impressed--I couldn't maintain it) and finished at about 8:30.
I'm not all that concerned about my times. What frustrates me is that I've been doing this for a year and half and I don't feel like I've progressed much. This is where I was 6 months ago! Granted, I've been working more on distance lately and am up to 18 miles/week, but still.
I don't want to win any races or place in any group, I just want a 9-minute pace to be easy. Is that asking too much? Maybe it is for me.
The race next weekend is a 5K so I'm hoping I'll do a little better then. Another pound or two off the chassis may help. Today I was all alone--maybe having people around me will push me. I don't even want to verbalize a goal time for this race--too scared of not meeting it. Am I in a mood or what?!
Thursday, March 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Love that song! I thought it sounded like one you would like as well...you know, another mad chick song.
Please don't let this get you down. I spent a least a year just figuring out how to run. I was plagued with injuries, namely shin splints. I managed to run a 9-10 minute pace, but my endurance sucked. You know that you can't work on distance and speed at the same time. 18 miles a week is a really great week of running. I have no doubt that 9 minutes will come to you, especially in a race environment. If you can do it during a training run, alone, then during a race you will most likely do even better. That said, you should know that I have had many slow runs that were much more difficult that my fast runs. And, it doesn't seem to matter to me how fast I can consistnely run during training, I always doubt myself and work myself into a frenzy of negative thinking before a race.
Be sure to take some time off for rest before this race. Do as I say, not as I do...find your happy place.
Post a Comment