Last night I discovered a new toy at the gym! I have to do cross training as part of the tri prep. There is this crazy contraption, tucked in a corner that looks like a giant escalator. You climb up on it and walk up steps endlessly. I needed to do 40 minutes - and in that time, climbed 125 stories (2.6 miles) and felt amazing!!! Try it.
Now onto will power. Even with the best of intentions this time of year - you still are faced with challenges that sometimes you just can't handle. Doesn't mean we are failures - or lack will power. At my weight watchers meeting on monday - all of us either gained or stayed the same... and folks were disappointed - and our leader said "YOU ARE HERE - YOU HAVEN"T THROWN IN THE TOWEL." Most people I know write off December - too busy to exercise and too much good food and drink to enjoy... and they say they'll start again in January. And, I just think - all they are doing is tacking on 10 more pounds to lose...
I think we should plan what we can - coolers of good food, workouts when possible - and know that we are doing more than most people.... I'm going to do the best I can through the holidays and understand that probably means I won't lose much weight - but, that also means that I won't gain weight either!
And, there are things we can always do - even if snowed in - we could jump rope.... or I have this awesome ab set I do in like no time.... start with 50 crunches to the center - then 50 to the right, 50 to the center, 50 to the left and end with 50 to the center. It's something.
For me, it's just the smells of christmas in New York City.... roasted nuts, fresh bread, donuts, cookies..... and, really what I do, honestly, is I put my head down - don't look at it, sometimes hold my breath and scream inside my head (and sometimes outloud - unfortunately) "No!! I do not want you!"
Like V says though, the difference with us and the rest of the world is that even if we indulge in the traditional Christmas treat of tuna sandwiches... we will ALWAYS come back to fitness. So, do what you can during the holidays to stay on track and don't beat yourself up toooooo much for the occasional slip-up. It's allowed.
I'm going to bring V's chocolate cake to my parents house for Christmas... so at least Angie and I will know there will be ONE good choice on the table... Cathy
Thursday, December 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Cathy,
I have used one of those stair things. The Gold's Gym in Woodbridge, VA had one. It is so much more difficult that a stair master. You did great!
I am glad you are going to try the chocolate cake. Pete and I think it is to die for. For your weight watcher points... I got 12 servings. I dropped the mini chocolate chips when I tried it with devil's food mix. It turned out so moist and rich. You don't need the chocolate chips at all. That makes the calories 220 with 3.5 grams of fat per serving. Let me know what you think.
I love the stepmill!
I get on it twice a week for 30+ minutes (on leg days) and do intervals (either one or two minute) my rest is on level 5, then I increase to 7, 5, 9, 5, 11, 5, 13, 5 and stay at 13 (13-5-13-5-13-5) until I think I am going to puke (seriously -no joke) and work my way down again 11, 5, 9, 5, 7. Great machine to improve Vo2max and heart rate conditioning.
I had a great workout today, I love leg days, I am able to really smoke myself... love those endorphins and feeling great!
Keep up the good work Cathy! (I would love to hear your workout -always looking for new ideas.)
Post a Comment