Monday, December 3, 2007

Met a real, live triathlete this weekend...

Wow. Ok. So, triathletes.... intense, maybe even a little arrogant... somehow it's different than runners I've met (and the runner I am). This guy has done four Iron Mans. Can you imagine? I think something like that changes you entirely. How can you not be a little obnoxious when you can stare down 140 miles in three disciplines and beat it in 9 hours? Talking to this dude - who's also doing the NYC Tri - was humbling, interesting and insightful.

I had made the mistake of watching a telecast of the Kona Ironman Triathlon on Saturday. The swim start was terrifying. There were broken jaws. Black eyes. People swimming over other people. I asked the guy if that's true for all Tris. It is - everyone's scrambling to get to the front. He said it's important for me to stay at the back of my wave to avoid getting kicked. That was helpful tidbit number 1.

Helpful tidbit number 2 is that I really need to get a heart rate monitor to measure my VO something or rather. V- any advice on this? Or do any of you guys use this tool? He said that for now, as I'm building my base with the Winter training program, it's fine not to use it, but as we get into the Spring training - I'm going to need it.

I came away from the conversation scared, honestly. But, also really really excited to join this fraternity. It's a huge time commitment. I started training last week and it's five days a week - running, cycling, swimming and lifting weights. It's a lot. And, again, this is only the off-season training schedule. It gets more intense in March.

I also came away from the conversation wanting to LOOK like an aspiring triathlete. I don't right now. I would like to start being better about the diet - and I know we talked once about discussing food on the blog. Any thoughts on diet modification that helps you lose weight but supports intense training?

And, V - one of the things I really like about you is that you're self- aware... and don't want the fun to leave your running and don't want it to become all consuming to win. I also felt like - this guy particularly - he's a tri-junkie. He works and then he works out. There's really not much left for a life outside of the board room or the race course. I am going to be mindful of keeping a balance so, I just don't "check-out" of my world until race day... you know?

Ok - to recap - need info on heart rate monitors and need tips for me to adjust the diet! And, someone asked about flip turns - I don't have any advice on that! I'm not learning how to do them, as I just have to swim straight for the Tri! No turns needed! Enough babbling for me. Hope you guys are well - Cathy

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Polar Heart Rate monitors are the best. There is a link off this site. I think ANY woman that even attempts to workout should have one. They are a vital tool for training or even just to track yourself and your workouts. You could get away with the basic but I recommend to get one that also has a timer, stopwatch, lap timer and files your averages, etc.

My favorite 'diet' is the Eat Clean Diet (she also has a cookbook). You can get it on Amazon. I take some advise from Dr OZ and alway look at the first five ingredients in everything. Pretty much if it comes in a box it's not healthly. It really reinforces the eating clean idea. My eating philosophy is "I can eat as much as I want as long as it is healthy... anything that goes in that isn't healthy requires an extra workout on top of what I already do."

Lately I have been eating very crappy and I am exhausted from all the working out, one of these days I will get back on track (that darn Thanksgiving did it). I get my body fat tested on Wednesday... it will be a day of reckoning.

Angie said...

Cathy, I have a Polar Heart Rate Monitor. You may have mine. I still have the box and all the info that came with it. It's only about 3 years old and I'm sad to say, hardly used. I'll bring it when we come to NJ this Christmas.

Love you, see you soon!
Ang

Cathy said...

Thanks Angie!! That's really nice of you! Yeah!

And, Rachel - thanks for the diet advice. I'll do some research on it.

I love this blog!