Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I want to be the one in control.....

Do you remember that Janet Jackson song from a million years ago? Control. I didn't really like it then, and don't really like it now - but as I read our entries lately, I find myself humming it. We are girls taking control big time (well, you guys are already there - I'm finding my way!)

V's story about bringing food to the parents house made me remember one of my all-time fav stories... when I first started caring about what I put in my mouth - in preparation for a visit to my parents, I asked what they were making for dinner. The reply: "it's healthy - we are having potato gnocchi baked with tomato sauce, heavy cream, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Served with bread." um. delicious yes. healthy no.

I'm going to employ a lot of the tricks mentioned here to make it through the holidays. First off - V, I made the muffins yesterday - only I didn't have spice cake mix at my grocery store, so I used low sugar yellow cake mix. Also, I don't have a muffin pan (I live like an animal in a 500 square foot apartment in NYC - no room for muffin pans!) s0 I made it in a loaf pan. It needed to bake a long time - but, it's very, very, very good! And, four points for one serving (in weight watchers speak). Speaking of, I had my first weigh in last night for Weight Watchers - and I'm down three pounds. On my way!

So, this year, I'm kinda rethinking holiday traditions - I usually make poppy seed bread - that's literally 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of oil and it goes down hill from there.... I'm not doing it this year. Even if somehow I found the will power to ignore it - why should I do that to other people I care about (even the people at work I don't much care about don't deserve all that cholesterol).

I'm going to eat some christmas cookies with my nephews - but I'm not going to eat so many that they all start to taste the same and it's less about enjoying a treat and more like I'm in training for a cookie eating contest.

I'm going to plan out my workouts - figuring out the gym schedules and when I'm going to do what. My training is not going to slip because it's the holidays.

And, I'm going to think about how good I feel - right now - and also how good I will feel - once I've been doing this for a few months. That's going to be always present in my mind.

Ending with a question - do you guys mostly work out in the morning? At lunch? What's your schedule? And, is there any benefit to doing it at a certain time during the day?

3 comments:

Vianne said...

Hi Cathy,
Glad you liked the muffins. I have substituted several kinds of cake mixes (although not yellow) and always had good results. My next experiment is to use the pumkin in brownie mix. I think the chocolate will disguise the pumpkin and still give it the right consistency.

Here's another one:
Dry Angle Food Cake Mix
1 regular can of crushed pineapple. Mix and bake according to directions.

By the way, I work out whenever I can. It seems that changes yearly depending on the tour (school schedule for the man this year), kid schedules (both in school, lull between soccer seasons), my work schedule (none this year), and training needs (lots of miles). This year I have the luxury of having plenty of time during the day to train, so I tend to go mid-day.

Vianne said...

Oh, congrats on the weight loss. With the kind of training you are doing, I am sure you will meet your goal quickly.

Rachel said...

All this talk about healthy holidays I now will HAVE to jump on the bandwagon and find the will to eat healthly -darn peer pressure :)(I promise I will account for all my eating and working out actions Jan 6 when we return to CO). Until then... I best start now, Rylin and I are both sick, so we haven't been to the gym since Friday.

Right now I am messing with my bread recipes (zucchini and banana), I have switched to Whole Wheat flour and now am trying to subsitute the sugar with organic just apples -apples sauce. I also add flax seed to all baked goods. Once I have it down I will share.

To answer Cathy's question- I go to the gym as soon as Rylin's up for the day (8amish we are out the door). I am only allowed two hours at childwatch or I would go back in the afternoon/evenings for a class as well. Before baby, I would workout both before and after work, when I didn't work I usually did three-a-days (I'm a addict). I prefer mornings overall but I am and always have been a morning person. There is alot of research out there on the topic- best time overall -afternoons, but most have the disclaimer that it is person dependent.