Thursday, December 6, 2007

Rowing Workout

For all you cross-trainers and die-hards. One of the trainers at the gym offered to write up a rowing workout for me, sure sounds good.... I think he's out of his flipping mind. He asked me how it was coming? I told him it was going to take a little while to work up to that level, but that I was flattered that he thought I was in such good shape (he said it was on the level of a professional athlete... doesn't really make me feel better).

Here it is and my hats off to anyone who can do this. (He wrote it up to improve my Vo2max.)


Rep 1 -2 minute row @ sub 2m 00s / 500m pace
30 sec recovery


Rep 2 - 3 minute row @ sub 2m 05s / 500m pace
60 sec recovery


Rep 3 - 3 minute row @ sub 2m 08s / 500m pace
60 sec recovery


Rep 4 - 3 minute row @ sub 2m 10s / 500m pace
60 sec recovery


Rep 5 - 10 inclusive - 30 sec rows @ sub 1m 45s / 500m pace
30 seconds recovery between reps


Rep 6 -20 inclusive - 10s row @ sub 1m 40s / 500m pace
15 second rest between reps


I am pretty sure God didn't have this in mind when he created me because I am pretty sure I can't mechanically row that fast (seriously sub 1m40s?!?!?!), can you?

1 comment:

E said...

I haven't used a rowing machine since I was a young teen and I am lost when it comes to deciphering what your workout plan is!

I also don't have any motivational quotes for you, but some things that help me maintain weight are:

1) I don't consume liquid calories. Now I know some of you out there would rather lose a finger than lose a glass of wine or margarita ;), but it's not a sacrifice for me. Water and tea are my daily drinks, with the occasional diet soda. Two exceptions: skim milk in the morning and Gatorade on long runs.

2) I keep the "100 calories/mile" estimate in my head. Is this candy bar worth 2 1/2 miles of running? The answer is usually no. I stress "usually".

3) I don't eat after 6 pm, as a rule. This one's easy for me too since I'll be up all night with heartburn if I eat much later than this (not just during pregnancy). Just limiting my "eating hours" to 7am-6pm helps control calorie intake. No more 3am runs to Denny's like in college!

4) And lastly, I follow a simple equation no matter what I'm doing: If I can do it sitting instead of laying down, I do. If I can do it standing instead of sitting, I do. If I can do it walking instead of standing, I do. And if I can do it running instead of walking, I do.

Simply turning up the energy output a tiny bit through the day doesn't seem like much, but it adds up. So I stand to fold laundry, I walk around while I'm on the phone, etc.

Don't know if any of these ideas will help you, but I'm convinced they work for me!