I survived the trip north. The snow was way deep and my in-laws live on dirt roads, so the snow is always packed and slick. Therefore, no running. Since it was just my family, we were able to eat fairly well. Of course, that means my poor children were denied some of the traditional Christmas fare. I did make Monkey Bread and we had my new version of chocolate cake. My MIL put me in charge of the Christmas Eve prime rib roast and I dare say it was fabulous, if not healthy. Red meat has iron and protein. We all need a little of that right? I know we don't need a whole rib, but it was really good!
Anyway, the good news is I didn't gain any weight. The bad news, I have only squeezed in 5 miles in a week. We left Vermont and drove 12 hours to get to Gettysburg. Pete and I got up the next morning and had our first run in a week. We ran through the historical downtown, past the college and through the battlefield. It was a bright crisp morning and a run I will remember for some time. We don't talk much when we run together, but I love the closeness I feel just working side by side. It is really cool when we anticipate each other. Like, when we started up a hill and I knew that Pete was working hard with the altitude and the hill. I instinctively took the lead, knowing that he would follow my steps. Later, as we got into the town and traffic, I fall in behind him as if he can push the cars and people out of the way for me. We finished our miles a bit short of the hotel and were able to browse the historic homes while we cooled down. I love how the town has put up plaques that detail the original family (specifically the wives and mothers) of the particular house and their efforts during that amazing 3 day battle.
So, we are back home and this weekend I was supposed to do a 16 miler. I am so far behind on miles for last week and then today, long run day, it is pouring down rain. We wimped out, big time. That means that tomorrow, no shit, for real, regardless of weather, 16 miles. It is New Year's Eve and we are invited for a neighborhood thing. I figure we will make it until 10 before we are exchanging "the look" to go home.
On another note, I got lots of great gifts this year, but 2 may be of interest to you guys:
- My boys got me software to publish a cook book for them. Ian is leaving in a year and he, especially wants to know how to cook what he enjoys eating when he leaves. E, I know this brings back fond memories for you.
- Pete got me an AeroGarden. This thing is the coolest ever. Cathy, I think of you and your tiny NY apartment. Rachel, I lived in Co Springs and the growing season is difficult, especially for tomatoes. The idea of having fresh produce year round and a system that is idiot proof just makes me want to invest in their stock.
Enjoy the New Year. I am anxious to move past the decorated tree and ceremony and get back on track. The truth is it will probably be next week before the rhythm returns. By the way, I have a 20K race on Saturday; the first of a 3 part distance series in preparation for the Shamrock Marathon in March.
No comments:
Post a Comment