My Runner's World magazine came in the mail today. I groaned out loud as I looked at the cover. The last thing I need to see is some chick with rock-hard abs as I'm lamenting the loss of my own. Her lean arms just reminded me of how chunky mine feel. At least I have boobs--just retired my B cups for the next year!
So I started thinking, "I wonder if I can suspend my subscription until I'm back to running?" For my own self-esteem. But as I started reading through it, I got a better idea. I'm going to start a running file. I'm going to tear out articles that talk about stuff I want to do, stuff I might need to know in the future, and stuff that I should be doing. Food, exercise, stretching, etc. I started with two articles from this month: the one about how to tie your shoes if they're bothering you and the one about how to cook different kinds of squash. So that's part of my resolution. I guess it's not so much a resolution as a project.
Secondly, I'm getting back to walking. I've taken some time off and I still have days when my hips really bother me, but I know I need to get back in the habit. I'm going to change my route though. Instead of walking around the golf course, I'm going to go to the gym and get on the treadmill. I'm hoping the softer surface and no hills or wind will be easier on my joints.
And have you seen this one? Her feet are backwards and not only does she walk fine, but "she can outrun anyone she knows". I have no excuses now....
Cathy--I also am looking for a heart rate monitor. Actually, I asked Santa for it, so hopefully he knows what the heck he's looking for and doesn't just get the cheapest one out there. Did you read the article in Runner's World about the double amputee who did the IronMan? Now that's inspiration.
About the VO2 max (your body's ability to use oxygen)--go to a gym and get on a treadmill that has a heart rate monitor on it. There should be a setting that will let you measure your VO2 max (also known as aerobic capacity). The one I used called it a fitness test.
The average is 30-50 and from what I've read, it's mostly inherited. You can improve it a little though. Mine was 36.2 after I'd been running short distances for a few months, and my goal was to improve on that, but I never got back to check it. I'd be scared to see what it is now!
Rachel--I remember feeling the same as you, although I didn't notice it until after New Year's. Who are all these people in my gym?? Doesn't she know that this is my treadmill from 8:30-9:30? I tried not to be too critical since at least they were in the gym, but there were times I really wished there was a punch card system at the gym and those of us who had logged consistent visits through the year got treadmill priority. Kind of like at church when all the C & E parishioners show up early and get seats, while those of us who showed up all year are standing in the back.
Thankfully, I didn't gain over the holidays. In fact, my dr gained 3 more lbs than I did! Hee hee! Now I just have to get through Christmas without breaking the scale....
Monday, December 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
E-I am so glad you are walking again, you will notice a big difference after you have the baby. Keep up the great work!
Have you looked into pilates for pregnant women (I ordered a video called, Prenatal Pilates with Sarah Picot), it may help with your hips and hip flexors, it was super easy to do all 9 months. I was also sent to water physical therapy twice a week for the last trimester, a water class would do the same, that helped me the most.
(My binder is a prized possesion and comes in very handy when I am looking for a way to change it up.)
Noteworthy: The guy who wins the Pikes Peak Marathon and Accent (half) every year has the highest VO2max on record - it's above 90 -that's what you call a freak of nature :)
Post a Comment