Saturday, September 8, 2007

In just 4 weeks, we will be in DC! I can't believe 3 of you got pregnant! What timing. I am very excited to see you guys. It will be a fun weekend. Christy, you and I have to find a special souvenir since we are putting in the miles for everyone else.

This week has been busy as ever. I got new shoes! I found a running store that carries Mizunos and now those bones in my feet don't hurt anymore. While I was at the store, I got to talking with one of the owners about training to increase my times. He took me right back to where I started with running and suggested heart rate monitor training. A runner improves and gets faster as the heart gets stronger and more efficient. When I first started running, I learned to run according to my heart rate. Then I knew if I was pushing hard enough or working too hard. I tend to push too hard and over train, so this is a good system for me. So many training plans give me exercise days like: 5 miles at 10K pace or intervals at 5K pace, or long run at 1 minute slower that 10K pace. Well, what if you want to increase that pace? What if you haven't raced a 5K in years and you don't know your 5K pace? What if your 10K pace is faster than your 5K pace because it takes you 2 miles to warm up? So, you see how running according to heart rate makes sense to me. Once you know your resting heart rate and your max heart rate, you can train at various percentages for everything from weight loss to speed and endurance. Now, I just have to find my max heart rate. My resting rate is just under 50 beats per minute. This week I will have to find a track and run all out for 1/2 mile intervals to see what the max is. I'm probably just happy to have a new plan. I tend to get so bored. My goal is to take 2 minutes off my half marathon time and place in the OBX Half Marathon in November with a 1:35. In addition to the heart rate training, I am adding tempo runs and hill sprints.

This week was kind of a recovery week since technically I did run a race last weekend. I also have a cold, so I am fatigued and stuffy. So, no speed work or fast runs. I did 2 shorter runs and yesterday I went to my beach. I ran the trail out about 4.5 miles and crossed the dunes to see the beach. I caught the tide at very low so I was able to run the beach all the way back! Pete and I are going for a run tonight. I may do about 10, we'll see. That would put me at 27 miles or 40 if you count the half marathon from last weekend (I didn't count those miles in last week's total).

Here is a picture of me and Shelley at the finish of the Rock and Roll Half.
http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_photo.asp?S=20&EVENTID=16943&ID=39473861

No comments: