Monday, September 17, 2007

9 Miles and a Bruise

I ran 9 miles yesterday in approximately 1:51; not allowing myself to dip below 15 minute miles. That written, I feel fairly confident that I will be able to finish the race. Here's a kicker though...probably not a big deal except for the pain factor. Somehow, I bruised the big toe of my left foot really bad. (I wore an older pair of shoes for my 4 miles last week and I think my toe was jamming into the front of the shoes.) It is mainly under the nail, however it is slowly venturing out around my nailbed and it was a lovely shade of purple before I painted over it yesterday afternoon. It won't stop throbbing and I just took some ibuprofen because I think it is a bit swollen. Again, other than the pain and the realization that my toenail may fall off, do I have anything else to worry about with this "injury"? And, any hints on this issue will be well received.

By the way, that old pair of shoes will no longer be worn for running. I was just fitted for a new pair of shoes on Friday, but I didn't want to do my long run in them this week. I am hoping that this will alieviate the toe problem altogether. But, I have to wonder if it was the shoes I wore for the long run that made it worse or if it was simply the running on the already bruised toe. Hmmm.

3 comments:

E said...

Great job Christy! Not only will you be able to finish the race, I'll bet you can do it in under 2 hrs! The adrenaline will carry you.

And welcome to the world of running injuries! This is a minor one, thankfully. The cure is simple, but you may not have the stomach to do it. Your toe hurts because the bruise is putting pressure behind your nail. Nails don't give like skin does.

The fix? You have to relieve the pressure. If I was there, I'd take a paper clip, unfold it, and put the tip over a flame until it's really hot. Then put it against your nail. It will burn a hole in it and the blood will come out. The pain will go away immediately.

I promise this doesn't hurt either. But a lot of people can't bring themselves to do it. You can go to the dr and he/she can do it for you. It'll take a minute, but probably cost a lot!

Yes, you will lose that nail. And it may not entirely be the fault of your shoes. A lot of people get these just from the mileage. But if the shoes are old, you're better off pitching them. Hope this helps and way to go on your run!

Vianne said...

Congrats on your first black toe.

I concur with E (after all she is the nurse). Last year when I was training for the marathons, my big toe looked horrible. We called it the "unfortunate toe." After you release the preassure, it will be fine, just ugly. I keep my toenails clipped pretty short. Now, the tips of my toes are thick with calluses. Still not pretty, but I can live with them.

Vianne said...

By the way, your time is closer to a 12 minute mile, not 15. You won't have a problem doing the race in 2 hours.